Saturday, February 16, 2013

A Selective History of Max Werner

A Selective History of Max Werner

By Scott Forbes

Summary: Fifteen-year-old Max Werner can see in the dark – a secret not even his best friend Tom knows. More sly than brave, Max has used his special gift for years to roam the streets of his neighborhood committing petty crimes and various acts of harmless delinquency. He prefers hiding from danger, safe in the shadows that only his sight can penetrate, rather than confronting anything head on.

His misdeeds bring him more than a few stolen goods, however, when he runs across a band of inhuman thieves that don’t take kindly to Max invading their territory. These strange bandits kidnap Max’s little sister as punishment for his indiscretion, forcing him to put what little courage he does have to the test.

Afraid to make the rescue attempt alone, Max must first convince Tom to join the adventure. Even with his perfect night vision, the giant spiders, bottomless pits, and blood-thirsty criminals that stand between Max and his sister may mean that none of them make it out alive.

A Selective History of Max Werner is a young adult adventure for all those who have ever wondered what secrets lay in the deepest shadows, the blackest cave, or the darkest night.

Genre: Juvenile/YA, Adventure

Published: October 17, 2011

Similar Books: Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer

My Rating: 2 stars

Well. It wasn't terrible.

I have this thing where when I really dislike a book, it makes me a bit queasy.  (Weird, right?) But, anyway, after finishing Max Werner, I had a really bad stomach ache.

I don't really know exactly why I disliked this book. I just couldn't get into the story. I found it absolutely, mind-numbingly boring. And none of the main characters were really people I wanted to cheer for. I hated Max, I hated his sister--I disliked all of them, though I disliked Tom the least. And the goblins! I don't enjoy goblins I guess, because this is the second book I have read about them, and I didn't like the other one either.  They were disgusting creatures. I didn't even like them as the antagonists, which says a lot.

The writing was rather mediocre for me. When I read a book, I want to be completely and totally immersed in it--not checking every two minutes to see how many pages are left, which is exactly what I was doing when I was reading this.

The worst part is, this is a book that I should like.  I love books about thieves, and the blurb reminded me so much of Artemis Fowl that I couldn't wait to read this book.  I was really disappointed when I started reading, though.

However, people may have a different opinion than me.  If you want to read this for whatever reason, do it, because I was in the minority on this one--everybody else seemed to at least slightly enjoy this book.  Maybe you'll like it. Goodness know I didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!