Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Agnes Grey


 

Agnes Grey

By Anne Brontë

Summary: Agnes is the daughter of a minister whose family was in financial difficulty. She has only a few choices for employment. Agnes experiences the difficulty of reining in spoiled children and how wealth can corrupt morals. She later opens a school and finds happiness.
 
Genre: Classics
 
Published: December 1847
 
Similar: Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
 
My Rating: 4 stars
 
 
I always have trouble writing reviews for classics; I mean, they're still in print for a reason. They have managed to be loved by people of multiple generations, which is no easy feat. So, I don't ever like critiquing them, or saying I disliked them.

Thankfully, I don't have to do either with Agnes Grey. I've read Anne Bronte's sisters' books, but I had yet to read hers. So, I downloaded a copy of this book on my kindle and started to read.

This was not a classic where I was yawning and wondering what the heck was going on. For a classic, it's pretty easy to understand,and I liked Agnes from the start. Sometimes I would think, "This girl has terrible luck!", but it wasn't so bad that the book was unbelievable. This book is semi-autobiographical, so there's no doubt in my mind that Anne Bronte had to put up with this kind of behavior.

Mr. Weston was another likeable character; after all the jerks Agnes had to put up with, it was nice to meet another character who was kind and caring, and not selfish and mean. (I need to go on a small rant about Tom; that kid was a psychopath in training! Dismembering poor little birds! Animal cruelty is the one of the first signs of a serial killer, people! Okay, now back to the review.)

All together, this was a wonderful story. I would definitely recommend it to people who like to read classics,especially the romantic ones, but even if you don't, Agnes Grey is still a book that you might like.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!