Monday, February 18, 2013

Airman

Airman

By Eoin Colfer

 
Summary: In the 1890s Conor and his family live on the sovereign Saltee Islands, off the Irish coast. Conor spends his days studying the science of flight with his tutor and exploring the castle with the king’s daughter, Princess Isabella. But the boy’s idyllic life changes forever the day he discovers a deadly conspiracy against the king. When Conor tries to intervene, he is branded a traitor and thrown into jail on the prison island of Little Saltee. There, he has to fight for his life, as he and the other prisoners are forced to mine for diamonds in inhumane conditions.

There is only one way to escape Little Saltee, and that is to fly. So Conor passes the solitary months by scratching drawings of flying machines on the prison walls. The months turn into years; but eventually the day comes when Conor must find the courage to trust his revolutionary designs and take to the air.
 
Genre: Steampunk, YA
 
Published: June 1, 2007
 
Similar: The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
 
Rating: 5 stars
 
Ahhh, Airman.

How shall I put it--this book is more than awesome. It is more than fantastic. It made me laugh, and it made me cry. I'm not joking. To describe this book, I would have to make up a word  because there is no describing it.  I couldn't put it down; I read it in two hours because I WOULD NOT under any circumstances stop reading.  I needed to find out what would happen next, otherwise I knew that I would not be able to think of anything else.
 
This book plays with your emotions, and you feel as if you really are the main character.  I cried when he was in pain, I rejoiced when he was happy, I was anxious when he was about to do something dangerous.  I was an emotional trainwreck by the time I had finished this.  That is what I WISH every book would do to me.  So far, very few have, and Airman is one of them.
 
Conor Broekhart is awesome. He is smart, brave, and come on! Who doesn't like a person with a multicolored beard? No one, that's who. (Intrigued? Confused, perhaps? Well, then, read the book!). 

The plot was also awesome. It was pageturning action, with a mixture of heartwarming and heartbreaking parts as well. Eoin Colfer is a stupendous author.

All together, this book was my favorite thing to read ever. It beat out Hunger Games! After I was done, I immediately went back and reread my favorite parts at least two more times and thought to myself, "Dang. This is GOOD."  This is the ONLY book I have ever done that with. So, you should definitely read it, no matter your age gender, whatever. Just read it. I can't emphasize that enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!