Sunday, February 17, 2013

Alphas

Alphas

Lisi Harrison

Summary: At OCD the losers are tormented.

At Alpha Academy, they're sent home.

Skye Hamilton has scored an invitation to the ultra-exclusive Alphas-only boarding school where beta is spelled LBR . What happens when the country's best, brightest, and hawtest begin clawing and scratching their way to the top?


Genre: YA, Chick Lit

Published: August 25, 2009

Similar Books: The Clique by Lisi Harrison

Rating: 4 stars

LBR and OCD? I was rather confused by the summary, as all I could come up with was obsessive compulsive disorder, even AFTER Googling it.  I got that LBR was Loser Beyond Repair, but OCD gave me nothing.(If anyone knows what this means, please comment and tell me!) In addition, I was actually kind of afraid to read this book after the reviews I read which pretty much said that the book was hopelessly annoying.

Confusion and fear aside, though, I read it anyway. And I really enjoyed it. 

Yes, I understand what the people were complaining about in their reviews. 'Serious-leh' was 'serious-leh' getting on my nerves by the time I finished the last page. But, that was simply how the character talked, and I have heard many teen girls say it like that.  I only caught lip-kissing once or twice, and I wasn't that annoyed by it. I mean, you could have them kissing on the cheek...I guess.  The real thing I was a bit annoyed at were that all the girls,and I do mean ALL the girls, besides Charlie were serious witches, and Charlie definitely wasn't an angel either. (Unintentional pun! Ha ha...yeah.) But by the end of the book, most of the main characters had gotten better and were less narcissistic, and I'm pretty sure the author is going to have them improve as the series goes on anyways. Besides, it's called Alphas for a reason, people.  I wasn't expecting them to be saints at all.

This book was published by Poppy, whose books are mainly for tween and teen girls.  They did well with this one. I think teen girls will enjoy this a lot.  It has cute boys, a cool plot, and humor that girls will love. The problems that the girls faced were regular teen problems as well; boy troubles, rivalries, all that good stuff.

Four stars for a fun read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!