Friday, February 22, 2013

Origins: The Fire

Origins: The Fire

Debra Driza

Summary: Heart-stopping and electric, MILA 2.0: Origins: The Fire contains a short prequel story and an excerpt to MILA 2.0, the first book in a riveting Bourne Identity–style trilogy by Debra Driza.

Mila can't remember anything before the fire that took her father's life. It's normal to have some memory loss after traumatic events, but Mila doesn't remember if she's ever learned to ride a bike, or if she's ever been in love. Nothing.

What she doesn't know is that she isn't supposed to remember—that she was built in a computer science lab and programmed to forget. Because if she remembers, she might discover her true identity.

The question is: If she relived the fire, what would she see?
 
Genre: Adventure, YA, Science Fiction
 
Published: January 8, 2013
 
Similar: Mila 2.0
 
My Rating: 3.5 stars
 
 
This is a VERY small little teaser for the YA novel Mila 2.0.  I would estimate it at about 16 pages tops. Now, I will say this; it was a very well written teaser, but I definitely was hoping for something a bit more substantial.  This was more like a prologue to Mila 2.0, not a novellette like I was hoping for.  I would have enjoyed having a bit more. 
 
However, like I said before; it's very well written.  I could picture the fire that Mila was in as I was reading.  This author, if Mila 2.0 is as well-written as Origins: The Fire, (and I am sure it will be) has the potential to be as good a storyteller as Suzanne Collins--I say potential because 15 pages doesn't quite seal the deal for me. Still, that is a very high compliment from a Hunger Games fan like me.
 
Another thing I liked was that it included chapters from the main novel, which I am DYING to get my hands on; I entered a giveaway for an advanced reader's copy, and I lost. Go figure.  Anyway, from what I read, it looks super good.  And, this book is free, so I can't really complain too much about it being so short, when it didn't cost me anything. I got more than what I paid for, that's for sure.
 
This little story succeeded in its purpose; it made me want to pick up Mila 2.0 and read it.  However, since it doesn't come out until March, I will be impatiently waiting for about a month.  I would recommend this to people thinking about reading Mila 2.0; it's a good teaser.  Even if you're not sure you want to read it, I still would try Origins: The Fire, because I have a hunch that this author is going to be pretty popular.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!