Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Mist on Brontë Moor



The Mist on Brontë Moor

By Aviva Orr

Summary: When Heather Jane Bell is diagnosed with alopecia and her hair starts falling out in clumps, she wants nothing more than to escape her home in London and disappear off the face of the earth. Heather gets her wish when her concerned parents send her to stay with her great-aunt in West Yorkshire. But shortly after she arrives, she becomes lost on the moors and is swept through the mist back to the year 1833. There she encounters fifteen-year-old Emily Bronte and is given refuge in the Bronte Parsonage. Unaware of her host family s genius and future fame, Heather struggles to cope with alopecia amongst strangers in a world completely foreign to her. While Heather finds comfort and strength in her growing friendship with Emily and in the embrace of the close-knit Bronte family, her emotions are stretched to the limit when she falls for Emily s brilliant but troubled brother, Branwell. Will Heather return to the comforts and conveniences of the twenty-first century? Or will she choose love and remain in the harsh world of nineteenth-century Haworth?

Genre: Science Fiction, Romance, YA

Published: December 22, 2012

Similar: Little Women and Me by Lauren Baratz-Logsted

My Rating: 4.5 stars

Amazing. Beautiful. Bittersweet. These are the words that sum up how I would describe this book.

First, let's talk about Heather.  Her struggle with alopecia is apparent from the first page, and it is very well written.  Some reviewers claim that she didn't struggle with it as much as she should have while staying with the Brontës, but I say nay-nay.  The girl was in 1833; she had other things on her mind, and it is still a fairly big struggle in the story, so I don't agree with them.  The one thing that I feel is inconsistent as far as the alopecia goes is the cover. In the book, she has to cut it off, but on the cover she is pictured in the graveyard with long flowing hair. That's it. And I didn't care about that at all, so in my opinion, it was flawless.  I thought it was a bit strange that she didn't realize she had traveled back in time sooner, because even though it seems far fetched, there were so many obvious signs! Other than that, I thought she was a great main character. 

The love story was  a bit of a love-hate relationship for me, and probably the only reason this book isn't getting five stars.  In the 1800s, I am almost certain it was not common to snuggle by the fireplace.  Especially after you have only known the person for two weeks! Once I got over that little fact, I was soon in love with Branwell. He was so charming, yet he had a vulnerable side to him as well.  I did not know the Brontës had a brother, and I looked him up while reading this because I was so interested.  He seems like he was very talented, but for reasons that I won't tell you because they might spoil the book, he never became as famous.

As some of you may already know, I have a Brontë obsession.  Currently, I'm trying to read every single book they ever wrote. So now I will go on a rant on how I think it is completely AWESOME that Charlotte, Emily, and Anne (kind of) were all main characters! I know this book is fictional, but I feel as if I got to know them by reading this. Silly, right? Still; I will never look at Jane Eyre the same way again. 

Now, the ending.  Don't worry; there's no spoilers here, but I feel like I need to say that the ending was a rollercoaster of emotions for me.  I don't know how to say it any differently.  It was not an ending that completely killed my happiness and made me want to curl up into a ball and sob(Mockingjay!) but it was not a happy, sunshine and rainbows, and they all lived happily ever after ending.  I loved it.

I know that if I don't end this soon, I will ramble on and on, so I'll close with this; The Mist on Brontë Moor is one of the best books I have read this year.  It's the kind of book where you become overly attached to the characters and feel sad when it's over.  I have no idea if there could be a sequel to this, but if there is, I would buy it in a second.  You need to read it!

6 comments:

  1. Hi there! New follower through GFC and just wanted to let you know that this book sounds fascinating. Although I do not usually read this genre I may need to make an exception.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's very good! Thank you for following me!

      Delete
  2. Hi *wave wave* Hmm, this book has a nice cover, i'll have to check it out(i'm a huge cover judger, haha). Nice review, i followed you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way! Covers are almost as important as the plot for me. Thank you for following my blog!

      Delete
  3. This book sounds really interesting! I might have to check it out. I am now following you btw. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following me, Renee! The book is highly recommended. :)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!