Saturday, February 16, 2013

The Mysterious Howling

The Mysterious Howling

By Maryrose Wood

Summary: Found running wild in the forest of Ashton Place, the Incorrigibles are no ordinary children: Alexander, age ten or thereabouts, keeps his siblings in line with gentle nips; Cassiopeia, perhaps four or five, has a bark that is (usually) worse than her bite; and Beowulf, age somewhere-in-the-middle, is alarmingly adept at chasing squirrels.

Luckily, Miss Penelope Lumley is no ordinary governess. Only fifteen years old and a recent graduate of the Swanburne Academy for Poor Bright Females, Penelope embraces the challenge of her new position. Though she is eager to instruct the children in Latin verbs and the proper use of globes, first she must help them overcome their canine tendencies.

But mysteries abound at Ashton Place: Who are these three wild creatures, and how did they come to live in the vast forests of the estate? Why does Old Timothy, the coachman, lurk around every corner? Will Penelope be able to teach the Incorrigibles table manners and socially useful phrases in time for Lady Constance's holiday ball? And what on earth is a schottische?


Genre: Juvenile, Mystery, Humor

Published: March 1, 2010

Similar Books: Mary Poppins by P.L. Travers

Rating: 4.5 stars

 Summing up The Mysterious Howling in two words, I would say: 'surprisingly stupendous.'  It's Helen Keller, Mary Poppins, a tad Sound of Music, and a little extra something; wolves.

I wasn't sure I would like this because from the description, it sounded like it was for little children, and I didn't want to read something that I would hate. But, for some reason, I checked it out at my local library. I was bored, so I started reading it the next day, and promptly finished in less than two hours. I didn't put it down; I couldn't put it down.  It was amazing. It only got four and a half stars because five stars for me is 'blew all other books out of the water' good, and it wasn't exactly that, but it was definitely close.  It was very, VERY original, which is what I think might have been my favorite thing about it. I had never read anything like this before! I'd read a couple books about governesses, but this story had a unique twist. I mean, come on! She's raising wolf children; if that's not 'original' or 'unique', I don't know what is! Not to mention the fact that this story had some moments where I simply had to giggle. And, this book made me learn some things as well.  Like the origin of the name Cassiopeia.

When I started reading, I wasn't sure the author would be able to pull this book off, but they did.  And at the end, I wanted to go out and get the rest of the series as soon as possible! I would recommend this book to kids, teens, and adults, because even though the story is juvenile fiction, anyone can read and love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!