Saturday, February 16, 2013

Uglies

Uglies

By Scott Westerfield

Summary: Tally Youngblood is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait for the operation that turns everyone from a repellent ugly into a stunningly attractive pretty and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to party. But new friend Shay would rather hoverboard to "the Smoke" and be free. Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world and it isn't very pretty. The "Special Circumstances" authority Dr Cable offers Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever.

Genre: YA, Dystopia

Published: February 3, 2005

Similar Books: Third Generation: Enigma By Charlotte Birch

Rating: 3.5 stars

This would have gotten four stars, but I wasn't interested in this book at all until page 100, which is way too late.  I would have found it to be fine if I had at least liked the book at the start, but I literally had to force myself to read it up until that page, which is NOT fun.  I would have abandoned this book, had it not been for friends assuring me that Uglies was one of their favorites and that I would love it.  That being said, once I got past a turtle-slow beginning, Uglies was a very interesting read.

This book was wasn't a generic YA dystopian title: oh, life sucks, every one's dying kind of stuff. It has its own unique spin on the government's oppression, with a plot that didn't seem too familiar to me.  And later, it became even more intriguing. By the end of the book, I was left wanting more. And there were some unexpected plot twists, which I absolutely love.



This book isn't a plain, just-for-fun story, either. It brought up some questions for me. Would I dislike it if everyone got to be pretty?  What would I do to obtain 'prettiness'? 


The only thing I could not stand was that, as I have already said, I didn't like was the fact that the first 100 pages were absolutely boring for me. It took me at least two weeks to get into this book, because I didn't want to read it. And when I did, I found Tally to be shallow and selfish at first. I ended up liking her, but I was annoyed with her for a while.  I know that her selfishness is intended, but for some reason, it still rubbed me the wrong way.  This fact didn't have any affect my rating, though, since it is my problem and not the book's.

So; a good book, but one that is unbearably slow to start. 

2 comments:

  1. I personally found Uglies to be riveting right from the start, but I know what you mean. Other books have been really slow at the beginning and it's torturous to get through them, especially if you don't know whether or not they'll get better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend liked it from the start aswell, so maybe it was just me! :) Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!