Friday, February 22, 2013

Writing Advice For Teens: Creating Stories

Writing Advice For Teens: Creating Stories

By Mike Kalmbach

Summary: When all you have is a blank page, it's often tough to begin writing.

Writing Advice for Teens: Creating Stories aims to help you overcome that initial hurdle by making it easy for you to write down simple, focused ideas and craft them into stories.

However, coming up with ideas is not enough. Teen writers need to understand basic story structure so they can avoid typical writing problems.

Filled with plenty of tips, advice, and examples to help any teen writer, the first book in the Writing Advice for Teens series focuses on getting ideas down quickly and pounding out that first draft. After following the advice and using the techniques outlined in this book, you should understand how to bring the stories locked in your mind to the surface.


Genre: Non-fiction

Published: April 24, 2012

Similar: Creative Writing For Dummies

My Rating: 4 stars

Forget the fact that this says 'teens' in the title.  The writing advice given in here is really beneficial to anyone from kids, to teens, to adults. 

I really wasn't planning on writing a review of this., but after reading it, I feel like I have to tell people about this. I normally don't read how-to books, but this was free, and I have been writing short stories since I was a little kid, so I though, what the heck? I'll try it. 

I was surprised how full of useful information this book was. I have never used my highlighting feature on my kindle too much, but I was highlighting things left and right on this. Almost every other sentence was yellow after I had finished this! From writer's block, to not overwriting, to useful tools when writing, this book has it all.  If you are struggling with writing, you won't be by the time you finish this book. It helped me out a LOT. I was able to correct some of my problems, and get really helpful tips as well, like filling out character charts--there was even a sample that came in the book!

So, I would recommend getting this book. It has great info, and it's cheap. What more can you ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!