Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Review: Freaked Out (Beacon Street Girls #7)

Freaked Out
 

Freaked Out

By Annie Bryant

Summary: Julia Faber's Hawaiian-themed birthday bash is the talk of Abigail Adams Junior High, but one of the Beacon Street Girls doesn't get an invitation. Should the others be loyal to their slighted friend and miss the party of the year? And Maeve's got more than the party on her mind: She's in deep trouble in math class and afraid she may have to repeat seventh grade.

It's no wonder the BSG are freaking out!
 
Genres: Chick-Lit, Juvenile, Realistic Fiction
 
Published: February 5, 2006
 
Similar: Lake Rescue by Annie Bryant
 
My Rating: 3 stars
 
This was a nice fluff read for me.  I don't know if this necessarily should be considered a fluff read, with all the social issues Annie Bryant packed into this 248 page book, but it was.  I'll explain what I liked and didn't like about the social issues later in this review.
 
The Beacon Street Girls have made their rebound from Lake Rescue! Yay! I hated Lake Rescue, guys. Absolutely hated it. Any-who....this was an enjoyable story that is perfect for girls ages 8-11. I don't know if it's really a book a lot of teens will like because of the way it is written, but that age group would love it.  The girls go through regular tween stuff and there's not too much romance in Freaked Out. A crush is mentioned a couple times, but that isn't the main focus of the book, which is nice. Many kids will be able to relate to Maeve's test issues.
 
What I found unrealistic about the girl's behavior, however, was their dialogue. I kept trying to attach it to the way regular 7th graders would speak, and I couldn't.  And sometimes, the girls would act a bit Mary Sue-ish.  This doesn't happen all the time in the book, but every once in a while I would pick up on it. 
 
Also, the underage drinking thing....I know I might get some backlash for saying this, but I didn't like it that much. First off, the boys who are drinking are in eighth grade. I know that some kids start that young, but I felt that it would have been way more realistic if they were already in high school. Also, when the kid barfs all over Maeve, I kept thinking of Pitch Perfect, where Aubrey pukes all over and then Lilly makes a puke angel. (Gross, I know!) So, I couldn't really take the scene seriously, I just kept giggling.
 
It was good, but it wasn't great.  I liked it, I didn't love it.  The first book was by far the best, in my opinion.  Still, younger girls will really like this series, regardless of the flaws. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!