Monday, March 18, 2013

Review: Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre
 

Jane Eyre

By Charlotte Brontë

Summary: Orphaned into the household of her Aunt Reed at Gateshead, subject to the cruel regime at Lowood charity school, Jane Eyre nonetheless emerges unbroken in spirit and integrity.

She takes up the post of governess at Thornfield, falls in love with Mr. Rochester, and discovers the impediment to their lawful marriage in a story that transcends melodrama to portray a woman's passionate search for a wider and richer life than Victorian society traditionally allowed.

With a heroine full of yearning, the dangerous secrets she encounters, and the choices she finally makes, Charlotte Bronte's innovative and enduring romantic novel continues to engage and provoke readers.
 
Genre: Classics, Romance
 
Published: October 1847
 
Similar: Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë
 
My Rating: 4 stars
 
As I've said before, I absolutely hate reviewing classics, because it's hard. But I feel like I have to review this one, because I feel accomplished after reading it. (I mean, it took me soooo long, compared to how many days it takes me to read a regular book! That wasn't a negative thing, though.)

I know I should have read this earlier, because you can't be a true Bronte fan when you haven't read Jane Eyre, but all I had was a stupid Reader's Digest 'concentrated version' or whatever they call it when they take out half the book to make it easier to read. I'd started reading this, but after I found out it wasn't the true thing, I stopped. So, that's why I'd never read this.

I'm glad I did! It was so good. I don't know if I liked it better than Wuthering Heights, but it was definitely very well written. Jane was well ahead of her time, and I really liked her.

It was so different than any of the books I'd recently been reading, and that's not a bad thing. Jane Eyre was a breath of fresh air, and it was kind of creepy in a good way. The mysterious laughing, the figure in Jane's bedroom...it makes you wonder what exactly was going on? And I really didn't see the answer coming!

I don't find Mr. Rochester as 'swoon-worthy' as most people do, but he was certainly an interesting character. I liked him way better at the end then at the beginning.

All together, it was a great story. I can truly see how this book has endured through time!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!