Friday, March 1, 2013

London Escape


 

London Escape

By Casey Hopper

Summary: Secrets and lies: all will be revealed and nothing will ever be the same…

Kit Hawthorn has been waiting for this moment all of her seventeen years: The moment when she can finally break free from her ordinary and neatly ordered life. The moment when she can defy her overprotective father and change the way everyone sees her.
It was the message that started it. A jumbled, frantic text message sent in haste from her friend Jason. In the end it was clear, he was in trouble. Armed with only one small clue, Kit recklessly sets off for London in search of her missing friend and the jewels he is suspected of stealing.
What she finds in London is not what she expects, and the plot she uncovers will haunt her long after it is over. In a desperate chase against time and a dangerous enemy, Kit will use every resource she can to follow the trail of clues that will lead to Jason’s salvation. With only the help of a mysterious old man and her own intuition, she will follow the path that is laid out in front of her, to whatever end.
Countless secrets will be revealed, including the face of a long hidden enemy, and Kit will learn the stunning truth about those closest to her. In the end, she will discover her true self and realize that even ordinary people can accomplish extraordinary things.

Genre: Adventure, Mystery, YA

Published: June 1, 2012

Similar: (Series) 39 Clues by various authors

My Rating: 3.5 stars

This book is a fast-paced, thrilling book that had me, in some places, biting my fingernails and wondering what would happen next.  It reminded me a lot of the 39 Clues series, but for teens, with a bit more romance and a bit less clue finding.

This was an enjoyable story, but one that I felt could have used a teensy bit more polishing.  While it was, for the most part, very thrilling, there were a few cliches, and the result was that the story wasn't as original as I would have liked it to be.  I'd read a lot of the action/escape scenes before in various books, or I'd watched them in movies, so I knew how they would end.  That wasn't as fun, because I would know how Kit, the main character, would get out of a bad situation before it even started. However, the clue hunting was original, very fun to read about, and probably my favorite part of the plot. The other thing that bothered me personally was that sometimes there were comma splices, and the grammar nerd in me would correct them involuntarily.  However, unless you also have an inner grammar nerd, you probably don't know what a comma splice is or care, so I won't dwell on that. 

The characters were easy to root for and very likable.  Kit was an interesting main character, and I enjoyed reading about her. In particular, I liked reading about her 'spidey sense.' The character I especially loved was Alexa, though she wasn't a main character.  Come on--who doesn't want a computer hacking, fashion loving best friend?  No one, that's who.

All together, it was a fun read, though at some parts it was predictable. It's a great book for people who enjoy action stories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!