Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Red Blazer Girls: The Ring of Rocamadour


The Ring of Rocamadour (The Red Blazer Girls, #1)
 
 

Red Blazer Girls: The Ring of Rocamadour

By Michael D. Bell

Summary: It all began with The Scream. And ended with . . . well, if we told you that, it wouldn’t be a mystery! But in between The Scream and The Very Surprising Ending, three friends find themselves on a scavenger hunt set up for a girl they never met, in search of a legendary ring reputed to grant wishes. Are these sleuths in school uniforms modern-day equivalents of Nancy, Harriet, or Scooby? Not really, they’re just three nice girls who decide to help out a weird lady, and end up hiding under tables, tackling word puzzles and geometry equations, and searching rather moldy storage rooms for “the stuff that dreams are made of” (that’s from an old detective movie). Oh, and there’s A Boy, who complicates things. As boys often do.

Intrigued? The Red Blazer Girls offers a fun, twisty adventure for those who love mystery, math (c’mon, admit it!), and a modest measure of mayhem.

Genre: Humor, Realistic Fiction, Mystery, Juvenile/YA
 
Published: April 14, 2009
 
Similar: Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliet
 
My Rating: 4 stars
 
 This is a laugh out loud mystery which had me giggling from the very beginning! Even the chapters have hilarious names.

I hadn't really read an honest-to-goodness mystery in a while, so I checked this book out at my library after Goodreads recommended it to me. I started reading it and I was hooked. The narrator, Sophie, is extremely funny. So is Mr. Eliot. He made a comment about 'Randy Bob Shakespeare' that had me snorting in laughter. All the girls have their own unique talents, as well as their own unique flaws, and all of them are easy to relate to. The teachers are actually pretty cool in this story as well. I wish some of my seventh grade teachers had been as nice as this. And any story that can successfully integrate the pythagoream theorem into juvenile fiction is a winner in my book.

The plot was not as predictable as it may seem at first. I could see a few people guessing it, but in a lot of mysteries, the ending of the story is so obvious that a two year old could figure out the ending. It wasn't like that in here.

So, all in all, it was a fun mystery that had me turning page after page. It's a great mystery for kids and teens.
 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!