Saturday, March 30, 2013

Review: Coralina

Coralina (The Nine Princesses Novellas, #2)

Coralina

By Anita Valle

Summary: Coralina Corissa, known as “Coco” to her eight sisters, is the prettiest princess of a hundred kingdoms. And she knows it. Her beauty has always given her anything she wanted... and any man she wanted.

Runa Realm is facing a new threat. Strange bandits, disguised as nobles, are attacking beautiful women to steal their hair. Coralina isn’t concerned. Until Prince Luxley, her favorite (but not only) lover, gets clobbered by a peasant called Gord, who mistakenly assumed the prince was a bandit.

Outraged, Coralina plans to punish the peasant by deliberately breaking his heart. But Gord is nearly blind. For the first time ever, Coralina must rely on more than her looks to ensnare a man. But the harder she flirts, the more Gord seems to hate her. And the more her own heart (and hair) becomes endangered.

The Nine Princesses Novellas is a series that chronicles the adventures of an unconventional family of princesses, the struggles they face in a kingdom often hostile to their humble origins, and the day-to-day dramas of nine young women whose personalities often clash like swords. Fans of Gail Carson Levine and Shannon Hale would enjoy this young-adult series. Recommended for ages 12 and up.


Genres: YA/Juvenile, Romance, Fantasy

Published: November 28, 2012

Series: The Nine Princesses Novellas By Anita Valle

My Rating: 4 stars

This is a book where I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I had read the first book, Maelyn, and I thought it was alright.  This book, however, is one of my favorites of 2013!

Coco is a character who I know I shouldn't like, but I did anyway. She is spoiled, a flirt, and she takes pleasure in breaking men's hearts.  But you know what? I didn't care. Under all that, you could see through how she interacted with Pipsy that she was actually a decent human being.  I identify more with Maelyn, but I enjoyed reading about Coralina more. 

Gord....hmmm.  I had mixed feelings about him.  He was another interesting character, but I don't think I exactly liked him as much as I should have.  The ending was definitely not a cliche romance ending, which may be the reason for my unfair feelings toward him.  I liked his daughter, Pipsy, more than him.

At first, I thought the bandits would be sort of babyish. I mean, they were stealing hair! But, considering that, I thought that they were actually written pretty well.  When I found out who the bandits were, it made even more sense and really added to the story.

The story kind of had an ending, it kind of didn't. A few things were resolved, and others seemed to be leading up to the next book, Heidel.  And now that I've read Coralina, I am definitely reading Heidel!

I would definitely recommend you read this story.  I don't think you need to read Maelyn to read this book, but I have a feeling Maelyn will be important later on  in the series, so perhaps you should. It is a short, fun, read that is unexpectedly great!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!