Friday, March 22, 2013

Review: Sisters of the Sword

Sisters of the Sword (Sisters of the Sword, #1)
 

Sisters of the Sword

By Maya Snow

Summary: Kimi dreams of being a great samurai warrior, but she and her sister, Hana, are young ladies of feudal Japan, daughters of the "Jito" of the province. Her future seems clear: Girls do not become samurai.

Then, betrayal shatters the sisters' world. Their power-hungry uncle murders their father, and their mother and little brother mysteriously disappear. Determined to seek revenge and restore their honor, they disguise themselves as boys to train at a school for samurai. Kimi and Hana are thrown headlong into a life of warrior codes, sharp swords, and shadowy figures--as they work with fierce determination to avenge the brutal wrongs done to their family.

In a flash, life has swept them into a terrible adventure, more heart-pounding than Kimi and Hana ever could have imagined . . . and once it has been set in motion, nothing will ever be the same.
 
Genre: Historical Fiction, Adventure, Juvenile/YA
 
Published: June 1, 2008
 
My Rating: 4 stars
 

I usually dislike historical fiction, but this book was so full of action that I didn't care. Sisters of the Sword is a must-read for any book lover!

I really loved the antagonist, Kimi and Hana's uncle. Or rather, I was enthralled with his evilness, if that's even a word. When you start reading the book, he sounds like the perfect relative; the one that you always knew would get the best Christmas presents, who you could always confide in. But, as the summary states, he ends up betraying his brother in the worst way possible. I went in this book not reading the summary, and I was so surprised!

The action in here appealed to the Hunger Games fan in me. Now, don't get me wrong; this book isn't at all like the Hunger Games, but when I was reading the fight scenes, there were a couple times where I was remembering Katniss talking about the careers and how they fought. I don't know if everyone would think that when reading this book, but that's how it was for me.

Also, Kimi and Hana are girls who are truly before their time. They, as girls, are not allowed to be samurai, but that does not stop them.

There was one thing that I was wondering about:  (SPOILER!)       
 (view spoiler)in the book, Kimi and Hana become servants. It seems to me like they were too good at it,considering they were the Jito's daughters. But the story was so good that I was able to suspend my disbelief while reading it.
In closing, it was a great book that I believe even reluctant readers could enjoy! I am looking forward to the next book in the series!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!