Thursday, March 14, 2013

Review: Will Allen and the Great Monster Detective

Will Allen and the Great Monster Detective: Chronicles of the Monster Detective Agency Volume 1

Will Allen and The Great Monster Detective

By Jason Edwards

Summary: Will Allen and the Great Monster Detective is the story of a smart but timid 5th grade boy haunted by fears that have literally come to life. He searches fruitlessly for help until a strange business card mysteriously appears in his book bag, instructing him how to summon Bigelow Hawkins, The Great Monster Detective. With Bigelow's help, along with the use of a very special flashlight and magnifying glass, Will must learn how to conquer his monsters and uncover the secret of the dreadful Hidden Beast before it's too late...

Genre: Juvenile, Humor

Published: September 1, 2007

Similar: Currently N/A

My Rating: 2 stars

They say that the best reviews are thoughtful without being mean. I, sadly, have not learned how to master this skill, so: WARNING: This review will be slightly sarcastic.

This book was weird. Super weird. And wow, I found it painful to read.

First, we have Will, who thinks he has a monster under his bed. Then, voila, a card of a monster hunter appears out of thin air and some creepy thing that resembles a man in a bad need of a shave appears in his room and helps take the monsters away in exchange for Will's beloved teddy bear.(And I realize this may not be as good as I hoped.)

So, after deducing that there are monsters, hairy person uses Will as bait. Here we are introduced to the man eating toilet. No, that's not a joke. Apparently, it represents when Will was scared of the mall toilet at age three. Well, I guess that makes sense, but still...man eating toilet?

Then, Will causes it to shrink, and he has to keep it for a long time. At this point, all I can think is, just step on it! Squish it! It was around the size of a bug, and it's a man-eating toilet. But, no, that won't work, because it's symbolic of children having to live with their fears, right? Right....

And then, there's a tree, and a bully, and then hairy guy ends up being a teddy bear monster or something. Okay.

Will Allen saves the day, and Will Allen becomes an official monter hunt. The end.

So, now that I have just went through a sarcastic summary--and I realize this is kind of mean, I am sorry--I would like to point out some more things besided the story that had me groaning.

The humor: maybe it was just supposed to apply to young boys, but I found it unlaughable.
The illustrations: They were okay, but not as good as many I've seen in previous books.

The one good thing,however, is that a younger child with anxiety issues could possibly benefit from this book; a really young child who doesn't find this book impossibly strange. This is why I am giving two stars instead of one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!