Monday, April 1, 2013

Review: Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm (Beacon Street Girls #8)
 

Lucky Charm

By Annie Bryant

Blurb: Marty is missing The Beacon Street Girls begin a desperate search to find their beloved doggie mascot. At the same time, Katani's sister Kelley has become involved with a therapeutic riding program for children with autism, but the riding stable is in danger of closing. When a famous Red Sox player reports that he has found Marty and will pay the BSG $10,000 to keep his lucky charm, the Beacon Street Girls are faced with an extremely difficult dilemma. In Lucky Charm, the Beacon Street Girls weigh the importance of helping a good cause versus getting their beloved pet back.
 
Genres: Chick-Lit, Juvenile/YA, Realistic Fiction
 
Published: May 31, 2006
 
Series: Beacon Street Girls by Annie Bryant
 
Similar: Main Street Series by Ann M. Martin
 
My Rating: 2 stars
 
Every once in a while, I get a doughnut at this bakery I live near. It has cinnamon and sugar all over it, and at first bite, it tastes really good. After I'm about halfway through it though, I have to stop because the sugar and cinnamon don't taste that great, since the people pile it on. That is pretty much what I think happened with the Beacon Street Girls.

These girls! They're so...ugh. I get annoyed if I read about them for too long, let's put it that way. I thought that the books were getting better finally, but Lucky Charm may have been one of the worst I've read so far. It. Was. Bad. Two years ago, I would have been shocked that I wrote that, but now, it's normal.

I had to force myself to read this book. I really wanted to throw it across the room. Hard. I was so annoyed. Let me sum up the story: The Beacon Street Girls lose Marty, the girls get all witchy towards each other, they find out a Red Sox rookie has him and he bribes them 10000 bucks to keep him. Katani and Isabel are like 'yep, that sounds good. Isabel has a good reason to say this, Katani has a much worse reason. I probably would have been more on her side if she hadn't acted like a selfish, witchy, brat. Then everything ends up okay because, hey, it's a book and that's what happens.

And throughout the book, there are these stupid remarks that made me go "WHAT?!" Like Katani being surprised that Robbie Flores supposedly lives in Rhode Island because he lookes South American. Think about this for a second. o_O

And Katani making a new rule that is important, but honestly sounds straight out of a textbook: 'I have a new amendment to propose...we weill never listen to a stranger who tells us to go someplance without an adult...it's always a bad idea.' Seventh graders don't talk that way. Seventh grade teachers do.

I wish that I could say I loved this book, but I can't. I recommend this to little children who aren't critical about what they read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!