Friday, April 5, 2013

Review: Miss Match

Miss Match (Lauren Holbrook, #1)

Miss Match

By Erynn Mangum

Blurb: Lauren Holbrook has found her life's calling: matchmaking for the romantically challenged. And with the eclectic cast of characters in her world, there's tons of potential to play "connect the friends."

Lauren sets out to introduce Nick, her carefree singles' pastor, to Ruby, her neurotic coworker who plans every second of every day. What could possibly go wrong? Just about everything.
 
Genres: YA/Adult, Chick Lit, Christian, Realistic Fiction, Humor, Romance
 
Published: March 27, 2007
 
Series: Lauren Holbrook by Erynn Mangum
 
Similar: Emma by Jane Austen, Perfectly Dateless by Kristen Hillerbeck
 
My Rating: 3 stars
 
I'm going to be honest. It was not the description of this book, but the cover that made me want to read it. So maybe that reflects in my review, because this isn't the kind of book that I would usually want to read.

I'm going to start with the positives first, because I don't want it to seem like I hated this book; it was enjoyable, for the most part!

First, The Princess Bride references. If you want me to love a book, put in references to books/movies that I absolutely ADORE. And I looovveee the Princess Bride. This has nothing to do with the review or the book, but:

description

Yep. Love it. So that was cool.

Laurie loves chocolate. And food in general. Nuff said.

The humor! (Actually, I have noticed a pattern in Christian YA novels. They all have main characters, usually girls, with a good sense of humor who is always attractive and single and finds a perfect Christian guy somewhere in the midst of the story. Sometimes, I get tired of this pattern. But I am still addicted to reading these kind books. I think Miss Match fell in that category.)

So, I didn't hate it at all. Keep that in mind when reading:

The negatives....

What...the...heck. SPOILER: Nick and Ruby only have gone on four or five dates when Nick proposes to her. This book takes place in the course of a month. I know that for a fact, because Laurie hasn't gone on her fishing trip yet, but she is about to. THEY ARE RUSHING INTO IT. And Ruby says yes! [gone on four or five dates when Nick proposes to her. This book takes place in the course of a month. I know that for a fact, because Laurie hasn't gone on her fishing trip yet, but she is about to. THEY ARE RUSHING INTO IT. And Ruby says yes! (hide spoiler)] I am sure there are people that do that, and I am sure some of them go on to live long and happy lives. But a typical ['dating to engagement' period is 2 YEARS. I looked this up just to be sure! (hide spoiler)] 'dating to engagement' period is 2 YEARS. I looked this up just to be sure!

Also, some parts of this book were just not that interesting. I was bored. This is the main reason it's only getting three stars from me. In fact, if it wasn't for Laurie's funniness, I probably would have been bored a lot with this plot.

So, I liked it, but I am not sure I'll be finishing the series. This is Erynn Mangum's first novel, however, and she showed a lot of promise in here, so maybe I will. I just hope that the next one will be a bit more engaging, and there won't be any early engagements. (Unintended and terrible joke. I am truly sorry.)
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!