Friday, April 19, 2013

Review: Saving Mars

Saving Mars (Saving Mars, #1)
 

Saving Mars

By Cidney Swanson

Blurb: When the food supply of Mars’ human settlement is decimated, seventeen-year-old Jessamyn Jaarda, the best pilot Mars Colonial has ever seen, flies to Earth to raid for food. Earth-Mars relations couldn’t be worse, and her brother is captured during the raid. Breaking rules of secrecy and no contact, Jess finds an ally in Pavel, nephew to a government official, but their friendship only makes more agonizing the choice before her: Save her brother or save her planet?
 
Genres: Adventure, Dystopian, YA, Science Fiction
 
Published: July 26, 2012
 
Series: Saving Mars by Cidney Swanson
 
My Rating: 4 stars

I bought this book a couple months ago and it sat on my kindle for a loooonnnng time. Then, the second book in the series was free, and I bought that too. I remembered that I actually hadn't read this yet after that, so I stopped all other books I was reading and began with this one. I am so glad I did!

Cidney Swanson is a wonderful author. I haven't read any of her books before, but I am definitely going to start now. Her writing style is so awesome! When Jessamyn was taking in the wonder of Earth, I was actually amazed at the beauty, even though I live here! That is skill, I tell you. Skill!

Another thing: I don't usually like sci-fi. It was never a genre I really got into, and yet I could not get enough of this story. The body swapping was a really interesting concept, and that says a lot coming from me.

Jessamyn's connection to her brother was so refreshing. I loved reading about their bond. The last couple books I have read, the brothers and sisters fight like cats and dogs, so it was nice reading about siblings who genuinely love each other.

There needs to be a whole section reserved for Pavel! I liked him so much. I don't know if this book could be considered romance, because even though Jessamynn and he kissed, there was really nothing else. I liked that everything wasn't instant with them. There most likely will be a lot more romance in the next books, but it goes slowly in this book.

Jessamyn! Finally, a heroine who is not a whiny damsel in distress. There was a lot of girl power going on in this book. She is headstrong, but not to the point where I could not stand her.

The action, characters, and wonderful storytelling had me hooked to Saving Mars from the very beginning. I couldn't get enough. As soon as you finish this book, you will want to read book 2!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!