Saturday, April 6, 2013

Review: Scones and Sensibility

Scones and Sensibility

Scones and Sensibility

By Lindsay Eland

Blurb: Seek tirelessly and you shall not find a contemporary heroine of middle-grade literature as refined and romantic as Miss Polly Madassa. Still swooning over the romantic conclusions of Pride & Prejudice and Anne of Green Gables, twelve-year-old Polly decides her purpose in life: helping along lonely hearts in search of love. Polly's only task this summer is to make deliveries for her parents' bakery, leaving ample time for this young cupid to find hearts to mend--beginning with the kite-store owner, Mr. Nightquist, who will pair perfectly with Miss Wiskerton (the unfairly labeled town curmudgeon). Polly's best friend Fran Fisk is in desperate need of a mother ever since hers ran off with a man she met on the Internet; Polly must find a match for Mr. Fisk. And while she's at it, it wouldn't hurt to find Clementine, Polly's teenaged sister, a beau worthy of her (so she can shed that brute, Clint). Polly's plans are in full swing, so she definitely cannot be bothered by the advances of classmate Brad Barker.

But maybe Polly should have turned her attention to Miss Austen's Emma next, because she quickly learns the pitfalls of playing matchmaker. How will Polly patch up her own relationships, while ensuring that destined love can take its course?
 
Genres: Juvenile, Chick Lit, Realistic Fiction, Romance
 
Published: December 22, 2009
 
Series: N/A
 
Similar: Miss Match by Erynn Mangum
 
My Rating: 4 stars
 
This book was really entertaining. I loved the story!

Polly Madassa. Hmm. She was a very...fascinating character. At first, I liked her a lot. Like her, I also fell in love with Anne of Green Gables, and I do remember trying to talk more like Anne once or twice. I am not sure I can totally relate to her, though, because her matchmaking is something I would never do. It didn't annoy me, though. I really liked reading about her misguided attempts to set up everyone with their Mr. Darcy. I especially enjoyed the end, where she realizes that her matchmaking does more harm than good, and changes her ways. So, I liked her, for the most part.

The story is written in more romantic language, as Polly puts it, and I really liked that. It was fun to read something that was a bit different. I don't know if I could read every single book like that, but it was nice to read just one book in this way.

I don't know if this book is for everyone, but I certainly enjoyed it. I will most definitely be reading more from Lindsay Eland!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!