Thursday, April 4, 2013

Review: Viola in Reel Life

Viola in Reel Life (Viola, #1)

Viola in Reel Life

By Adriana Trigiani

Blurb: I'm marooned.

Abandoned.

Left to rot in boarding school . . .

Viola doesn't want to go to boarding school, but somehow she ends up at an all-girls school in South Bend, Indiana, far, far away from her home in Brooklyn, New York. Now Viola is stuck for a whole year in the sherbet-colored sweater capital of the world.

Ick.

There's no way Viola's going to survive the year--especially since she has to replace her best friend Andrew with three new roommates who, disturbingly, actually seem to like it there. She resorts to viewing the world (and hiding) behind the lens of her video camera.

Boarding school, though, and her roommates and even the Midwest are nothing like she thought they would be, and soon Viola realizes she may be in for the most incredible year of her life.

But first she has to put the camera down and let the world in.
 
Genres: YA, Paranormal, Chick-Lit, Realistic Fiction, Romance
 
Published: August 18, 2009
 
Series: Viola by Adriana Trigiani
 
My Rating: 3.5 stars
 
 
This book is so good. Maybe people who are more aquainted with ghost stories then I am will disagree, but I usually don't read them. I loved the red lady element. It transformed this story from an okay boarding school plot to a really cool, mysterious mystery-ish plot.

Viola was kind of a strange character for me, because she seemed like sometimes she liked Prefect Academy, sometimes she hated it. I thought she had finally adjusted there, and then she would say something like, 'Indiana sucks, and this academy sucks, everything sucks but my precious Brooklyn.' (Obviously paraphrased, though)

Also, I really didn't see Jason as being a jerk until the author pointed it out. I kind of wished that she would have given more hints that he would end up being a not-so prince charming[a not-so prince charming (hide spoiler)] because I liked him before the film festival.

The characters are the only somewhat weak parts to this book though. The story is really riveting, and I loved reading it. Viola's movie sounds like something I would want to watch. I loved that part of the book.

Also, I know I mentioned this above, but the ghost part was sooooooooo good! I wasn't sure if Viola was seeing things, or if it really was a ghost at first, but you find out later. I won't give anything away, but I thought it was really cool!

I liked this book a lot. There were a few little quirks, but nothing that I couldn't get over. This is definitely a recommendable book. I know I'll be finishing the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!