Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Review: How Zoe Made Her Dreams (Mostly) Come True

 

How Zoe Made Her Dreams (Mostly) Come True

How Zoe Made Her Dreams (Mostly) Come True

By Sarah Strohmeyer

Blurb: From Sarah Strohmeyer, author of Smart Girls Get What They Want, comes this romantic comedy about one girl's summer job from hell. Think The Devil Wears Prada set in Disney World.

When cousins Zoe and Jess land summer internships at the Fairyland Kingdom theme park, they are sure they've hit the jackpot. With perks like hot Abercrombie-like Prince Charmings and a chance to win the coveted $25,000 Dream & Do grant, what more could a girl want?

Once Zoe arrives, however, she's assigned to serve "The Queen"-Fairyland's boss from hell. From spoon-feeding her evil lapdog caviar, to fetching midnight sleeping tonics, Zoe fears she might not have what it takes to survive the summer, much less win the money.

Soon backstabbing interns, a runaway Cinderella, and cutthroat competition make Zoe's job more like a nightmare than a fairy tale. What will happen when Zoe is forced to choose between serving The Queen and saving the prince of her dreams?


Genres: YA, Romance, Realistic Fiction, Romance

Published: April 23, 2013

Series: N/A

My Rating: 3.5 stars


This book full of light and fluffy fun. Like, really fluffy. Cotton Candy fluffy. Which is appropriate, because the book's about a theme park. Ultimately, this is what gave How Zoe Made Her Dreams (Mostly) Come True the lower rating; because I was left wanting a bit more substance when it was over.

Originally, I picked this up because it was compared to Disney Land meets The Devil Wears Prada. (True statement, by the way.) But Fairyland isn't actually Disney Land, which makes a couple inconsistencies. For example, Fairy Land should NOT have a Grumpy in Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. Those names came from the Disney version of Snow White. But, I disgress.

I didn't really feel a connection to any of the characters, but I didn't hate them either. They were just...characters. Zoe really didn't stand out to me. She was just kind of in the story. Does that even make sense? I'll just say it does and keep going.

But I did like the ending. It was cute and satisfying.

I do recommend this book, but I don't think it's for everyone. You have to be a person who doesn't mind extreme fluffiness, who doesn't need some deep message for a book to be good. Right now, I'm not in that category. So excuse me while I go pick up The Fault in Our Stars. (Well, actually it will be a while, because there are 35 holds at my library, but you get the point.)


Content: (I don't usually post this, but I just feel like I should for this one) More mature content than I usually read, but no sex or anything; just some passionate kissing, talk about hook ups (making out, not actual sex) and a boy says that his ego is not the only oversized thing about him. (Then quickly realizes it was an inappropriate statement)

2 comments:

  1. This is a great review! I considered myself warned to never read this book. I definitely need more substance in the things I read!

    I really love your blog and have followed you! :)

    Please check out my blog when you have the chance! An Endless Stream of Words

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!