Friday, May 24, 2013

Review: The Island of Lote

The Island of Lote

Island of Lote

By Emily Kinney

Blurb: Milo Hestler is a lonely, unusual, fourteen-year-old girl. She is constantly moving from home to home with her oblivious parents. The only friend she has is her conscience, whom she has named Bob. Her only comforts are cooking and listening to hip-hop. When her family moves yet again, Milo is bullied mercilessly by her classmates. Such treatment prompts her to travel to Australia for summer camp. During the plane ride, Milo awakens to find the plane deserted and about to crash. After parachuting into the ocean, she discovers she is near an island. Milo passes out, and upon waking, learns she was rescued by a boy named Simon, who is cute, but can't speak English. Not able to understand him, she accidentally says yes when he asks her to marry him. He leads her to a small town on the island, where they locate someone who can translate for them. Milo is outraged to hear that she is engaged to Simon and wants to call it off, but learns that this island has rules that cannot be broken. She must go through with the marriage against her will. After learning about the trick he played on her, Milo hates Simon, though it is obvious that sixteen-year-old Simon really likes her. What will happen next on The Island of Lote?
 
Genres: Romance, YA
 
Published: March 15, 2012
 
Series: N/A
 
My Rating: 4 stars
 
 
I really liked this book. I think the author has a lot of potential! (But a better editor is needed; the writing has a few mistakes in it, though it does not take away from the overall story) However, I had an issue with Simon--I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's start with the positives of this story first, shall we?

First, I liked the plot. I used to love a game called Virtual Villagers, (Still do, I just beat every single game!) and when I saw the blurb for this book, I knew I had to read it. Islands are my kryptonite in stories!

Secondly, Milo. She is a strong, funny female role. Nothing weak and wimpy to see here, people! She knows what she stands for and she's not afraid to tell others when she thinks something is wrong.

Third; Simon... I guess. He's also a dislike in this story, for one reason that I'll talk about in the next paragraph. I thought that he was sweet for most of the book. He tries so hard to get Milo's approval, and honestly, if I were him I would have given up on her, so I admire that. But......

He punches her!!!!!! Okay, we need to understand the context here before I go on a rant. She has just tackled him and refuses to get off. She is wrestling with him, and it isn't the lovie-dovie fake kind of wrestling where they're just trying to flirt; we're talking WRESTLING. The author is not trying to promote abuse in this book; in the next sentence she talks about how you should never ever hit a girl (and uses about fifteen nevers, which I fully agree with. Which is why this was not acceptable to me) But it didn't excuse the fact that he PUNCHES HER! I just couldn't get over that fact, and it definitely put a damper on the whole "Oh, Simon is a great husband" message for me.

Other than that, I liked it. I think that Emily Kinney is a really good author, and seeing as this is only her first book, I can't wait to see what she'll do in the future.

I won this book from Goodreads First Reads. This in no way affects my review.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!