Sunday, May 12, 2013

Review: The Jerk Magnet

The Jerk Magnet (Life at Kingston High, #1)
 

The Jerk Magnet

By Melody Carlson

Blurb: When Chelsea Martin's future stepmother helps her transform from gawky and geeky into the hottest girl at her new school, Chelsea is pretty sure it's the best thing that ever happened to her. But her hot new look has a downside. She's attracting lots of guys who all have one thing in common: they're jerks. And stealing the attention of all the guys in school doesn't endear her to the girls either.

Chelsea finally finds a true friend in Janelle Parker, and a non-jerk, Nicholas, catches her eye. Janelle keeps telling her to be herself, but Nicholas is the only guy around who doesn't give her a second look. Can Chelsea and Janelle come up with a plan to get his attention? Or will Chelsea's new image ruin everything?

Teen favorite and bestselling author Melody Carlson helps girls uncover the real source of beauty in this true-to-life story of young love, friendship, and being yourself
 
Genres: YA, Chick-Lit, Christian, Humor, Romance, Realistic Fiction
 
Published: January 1, 2012
 
Series: Life At Kingston High by Melody Carlson
 
My Rating: 4 stars
 
Melody Carlson...this my be my favorite book by you yet. It was just so good. I'm serious, guys, I was contemplating giving this 5 stars, but there was one plot element that I wasn't okay with. I'll get to those in a second.
 
This book handles teen issues from a Christian perspective. It's probably the edgiest novel I've ever read; I'm not saying that it IS edgy, I'm saying that I'm not edgy at all. Even slightly. I still stick mainly to the Juvenile section, honestly. But this book didn't bother me at all with it's slightly more mature themes; (I'll be honest, they are pretty slight compared to what else is out there) I liked that Ms. Carlso handeled them from a Christian perspective, instead of just doing an average, safe Christian novel.
 
The one thing that I didn't like is that the plot kind of hinted, to me at least, that if you wear really cute clothes you'll attract a bunch of jerks.  I get what the author was trying to say- that you shouldn't judge others before you get to know them- but still, it did bother me.
 
Anyway, I would recommend this to teens ages 12-13+. It's a great story with a good message, for the most part. I am definitely going to read on in this series!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!