Monday, May 13, 2013

Review: New York, New York

New York, New York (Love, Tink #2)

New York, New York

By Elle Strauss

Blurb: Love, Tink Series is Enchanted meets Peter Pan.

In Episode Two, Tink makes it to Peter's New York and is more than a little daunted by what she discovers. Under the guise of Belle Fehr, Tink registers at the school Peter attends. Her dreamy reunion is crushed when she finds that not only does he not recognize her, he has a girlfriend named Wendy!
Genres: Juvenile/YA, Fantasy, Juvenile, Retellings, Romance
 
Published: February 1, 2013
 
Series: Love, Tink by Elle Strauss
 
Similar: Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie, Peter and the Starcatchers by Ridley Pearson and Dave Barry
 
My Rating: 3 stars
 
Some of you guys, if you have seen my review of Love Tink, are probably wondering why the heck I read New York, New York. Well:

1. I have a bit of series OCD.
2. I wanted a quick read, and the other novelette series I have started was one that I hated even more than Love Tink.
3. It's a purple cover. I am a shallow cover judger, I know.

Here is something I was not expecting to say:

It isn't too bad.

Yes, Hook is still a crummy version of the real J.M. Barrie character. Yes, I am still way less than thrilled by the fact that Peter is a New Yorker. And, yes, this book had a couple new problems besides those.

But it was still pretty good compared to Love Tink. She didn't annoy me like before, and I think taking the book out of Neverland, which, if we are going to be honest, no one will EVER be able to do as well as J.M. Barrie himself (Check out Peter and the Starcatchers; they came closest) really helped this. Now, I don't think that you can just waltz in to a high school and be all "I'm going here now, but it's okay because I'm from, ummm, an obscure foreign country" is really plausible. At all. But I'm not going to dwell on that.

I did like the inclusion of Wendy into the series. Though, Wendy is a bit of a witch in here, and in the orginal book, Tinker Belle was the catty one. Whatever. I'll be able to deal with it.

This series has redeemed itself in my eyes. I'm cautiously hopeful to read the next Love, Tink!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!