Thursday, June 27, 2013

Review: Hannah (Daughters of the Sea #1)

Hannah (Daughters of the Sea, #1)

Hannah

By Kathryn Lasky

Blurb: Daughters of the Sea tells the story of 3 mermaid sisters who are separated at birth by a storm and go on to lead three very different lives. Book 1 is about Hannah, who spent her early days in an orphanage and is now a scullery maid in the house of rich, powerful family. She is irresistibly drawn to the sea and through a series of accidents and encounters discovers her true identity. Hannah realizes that she must keep the truth a secret but she also knows that soon she will have to make the choice - to be a creature of the land or the sea.
 
Genres: YA, Historical Fiction, Paranormal, YA, Romance
 
Published: September 1, 2009
 
Series: Daughters of the Sea by Kathryn Lasky (Book 1)
 
My Rating: 2.5 stars
 
This book wasn't boring, but I didn't like it all that much. I would have given it three stars, but there was a certain scene (mentioned below in the paragraph marked with spoilers) that made me get very mad at the book.

Orphan/misfit girl has some kind of supernatural quality has been done a lot, but I still love them. However, this is pretty much one of the most basic plots possible. Hannah: Daughters of the Sea brings almost NOTHING new to the table. This is coming from a person who loves a) mermaid fiction, b) historical fiction and c) plots about people discovering they have special powers. I SHOULD have loved this book.

The only character I actually enjoyed reading about was Henrietta. But the other characters, like the plot, were so lackluster! I couldn't connect with any of them. And I actually did not mind that cat. I am a cat person. Which brings us to:
(SPOILER)
(view spoiler)
 
HENRIETTA KILLS HER SISTER'S CAT! Yeah, this part made me not like her so much. And the author kind of glorifies it in a way. What kind of crappy sibling kills her sister's pet????? Even if she is a 'terror', (and I didn't think that poor little kitty was too bad. Unless it has rabies, you're fine, Hannah. Get over it.) that does not mean you...wait for it...wring it's neck. Yeah. Great sister relationship right there, huh? Plus, that cat was pretty much her sister's LIFE. And, really, even if they weren't sisters, you shouldn't kill someone's pet! That is awful!!

Plus, what the heck was that ending supposed to be? A cliffhanger? Because that is NOT how you do cliffhangers. There should be at least some sense of finality, not whatever that was supposed to be!

2.5 stars, because other than the 'cat scene' I had no strong feelingsa about this book, one way or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!