Friday, July 12, 2013

Review: After the Leaves Fall

After the Leaves Fall
 

After the Leaves Fall

By Nicole Baart

Blurb: Julia DeSmit can't wait for her life to begin. After her mother leaves when Julia is nine years old, she's raised by an unassuming, gentle father and a saintly, matriarchal grandmother until her father dies just as Julia is becoming a young adult. On the cusp of womanhood, Julia feels jaded by her circumstances and longs for a new identity. College seems like the perfect place to start over. But when Julia makes a mistake that will change her life forever, she returns to her grandmother's farm, defeated and convinced of her own worthlessness. Only through the gentle prodding of her loving grandmother does Julia begin to accept the imprint her childhood has left on her life and look for hope in a loving God who longs to make all things new.
 
Genres: YA/Adult, Christian, Realistic Fiction, Romance
 
Published: September 5, 2007
 
Series: Threads of Change by Nicole Baart (book 1)
 
My Rating: 5 stars!
 
After reading this, I have to go and change my review of Miracle Girls. Because in that review I said that Miracle Girls was probably my favorite Christian-realistic fiction book. And now it isn't; now After the Leaves Fall is.

So now I will desperately try to write a review for this book, and most likely fail miserably, because it's hard to put into words what I liked so much about the story. Still, I'll try.

The emotions in this book were just so well written. I could really understand how the characters felt. Especially Julia, who was one of the most well-written characters I've come across in a while. She was so real. The author portrayed Julia's uncertainties, her relationships, her ambitions in such a genuine way.

The prose was absolutely beautiful. Sometimes Julia seemed older than her actual age, but it was still wonderful. I don't read many books that are composed this eloquently. Nicole Baart can write.

The ending was just as beautiful as the rest of the story. It was so wonderful to read about (view spoiler)[Julia's love for her unborn child. (hide spoiler)]

And lastly, for everybody who thinks that all Christian Fiction is unbearably preachy, this book is not. In fact, for pretty much 90% of the book, the main character isn't even Christian.

After the Leaves Fall is an excellent story, and one of the best Christian Fiction books I've ever read. I loved every minute of it, and I look forward to reading more by Nicole Baart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!