Monday, July 22, 2013

Review: The Healer's Apprentice

The Healer's Apprentice

By Melanie Dickerson


Blurb: Two Hearts. One Hope.

Rose has been appointed as a healer's apprentice at Hagenheim Castle, a rare opportunity for a woodcutter's daughter like her. While she often feels uneasy at the sight of blood, Rose is determined to prove herself capable. Failure will mean returning home to marry the aging bachelor her mother has chosen for her—a bloated, disgusting merchant who makes Rose feel ill.

When Lord Hamlin, the future duke, is injured, it is Rose who must tend to him. As she works to heal his wound, she begins to understand emotions she's never felt before and wonders if he feels the same. But falling in love is forbidden, as Lord Hamlin is betrothed to a mysterious young woman in hiding. As Rose's life spins toward confusion, she must take the first steps on a journey to discover her own destiny.

Genres: YA, Romance, Retellings, Christian, Historical Fiction

Published: September 10, 2010

Series: Fairy Tales by Melanie Dickerson (Book 1) can be read as a standalone

My Rating: 2 stars

There are some books where I finish, and I am not sure why I did not enjoy them. It takes me a few days to ponder over what I disliked about the story. Healer's Apprentice, however, was a book where I finished and knew exactly what I did not enjoy.


The main thing that annoyed me was that this was so similar to the Fairest Beauty. How is that even possible?! They are two different fairy tales, and yet they were basically the same. I can't go into detail too much, because it's the plot twists that are all alike, and I wouldn't want to spoi the whole story, but I can say this; I was suffering from some serious déjà vu while reading this. I suppose that if I had read these books in order, I would be complaining about this in my review of the Fairest Beauty instead of this review, but I didn't, so it's going in here.

Another thing I disliked: Wilhelm. I liked his brother Rupert more, who, turns out to be a jerk, which kind of sucked, because I was entertaining a small hope that Rose would realize that Wilheim had an extremely boring personality and fall in love with Rupert. Sigh. 

Also, the 'plot twists' in here are not plot twists at all. They are so apparent that I knew pretty much the whole book how Rose be able to end up with Wilhelm. I think that if these reveals were a bit more shrouded in mystery rather than being blatantly foreshadowed, I could possibly have given this book three stars. But they obviously weren't.

And the icing on top of my hate-cake was the fact that Rupert calls Wilhelm a prude. That just seemed too modern of a word to use in a story that seems to take place during medieval times, so I looked it up, and I was right! It was. There is no way that Rupert would have called Wilhelm a prude, since this takes place in the 14th century.

Again, I would not recommend this story. I think this is going to be the last book I try to read from this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!