Thursday, July 4, 2013

Review: Sophie, Pay Attention

Sophie, Pay Attention (Rhoda, You Too)! (Kingdom Kids, #1)

Sophie, Pay Attention (Rhoda, You Too!)

By Susan Barnett Braun

Blurb: Hi! I'm Sophie, and I'm 8 years old. I love my family, Jesus, and my pet rabbit. But sometimes I think it's hard being the youngest in the family. Maybe the others don't always take me seriously, or maybe they get upset when I forget things (like my math homework!).

I used to feel bad about that, but then one day my Sunday School teacher told me the story of Rhoda, a girl from the Bible who sounds like she was living my life! Rhoda's story made me think maybe I could look at things differently.

Now, can I convince my family to look at me differently too?
Genres: Juvenile, Christian, Realistic Fiction
 
Published: September 23, 2011

Series: Kingdom Kids by Susan Barnett Braun (book 1)
 
My Rating: 3 stars
 
Sophie Pay Attention (Rhoda, You Too!) was a very basic story that helps kids learn about Rhoda, from the Bible. The story is, like I said before, very basic. The book is around 20 pages long and is about a girl seeing a deer in her backyard. When she tells her family, no one believes her.

I gave this the ‘average’ rating because it is a bit boring. I think the author could have given this book a plot that taught the same story, but was a bit more entertaining. Young kids are the main target for this book, and I think that the plot might not succeed in completely holding their attention.

However, I think that kids will be able to relate to Sophie, who is the redeeming part of this book. She has a problem with paying attention, she forgets her homework, and sometimes people don’t believe her because she is young.

I would recommend this little book to Christian readers, because it teaches a Bible story that is sometimes overlooked in Sunday school.


1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry "Sophie" wasn't a total hit for you. Thanks so much for your time in reading and reviewing it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!