Monday, July 1, 2013

Review: Sweet Mercy

Sweet Mercy

Sweet Mercy

By Ann Tatlock

 

Summary: When Eve Marryat’s father is laid off from the Ford Motor Company in 1931, he is forced to support his family by leaving St. Paul, Minnesota, and moving back to his Ohio roots. Eve’s uncle Cyrus has invited the family to live and work at his Marryat Island Ballroom and Lodge.
St. Paul seemed like a haven for gangsters, and Eve had grown fearful of living there. At seventeen, she considers her family to be “good people.” They aren’t lawbreakers and criminals like so many people in her old neighborhood. Thrilled to be moving to a “safe haven,” Eve is blissfully unaware that her uncle’s lodge is a transfer station for illegal liquor smuggled from Canada.
Eve settles in to work and makes new friends, including an enigmatic but affecting young man. But when the reality of her situation finally becomes clear, Eve is faced with a dilemma. How can she ignore what is happening right under their very noses? Yet can she risk everything by condemning the man whose love and generosity is keeping her and her family from ruin?
 
Genres: YA, Christian, Historical Fiction, Realistic Fiction, Romance

Published: May 1, 2013
 
Series: N/A
 
My Rating: 4 stars
 
 
I just finished Sweet Mercy. And I loved it. It was just so good. The characters, the story...everything. It was Christian, but it wasn't preachy. It was just wonderful.

I'll start with Eve. Eve was an interesting character, and I am still not 100% sure what I think of her. I'll admit that at the beginning I didn't like her as much, because she was the kind of person that thinks she's a perfect saint compared to everyone else. But she grows, a lot. Her elderly self ponders how she was, and says that something she learned is that (and this isn't verbatim) no one is all bad, just like no one is all good.

The Christian elements in this book did not overtake the whole entire plot. I'll be honest, I wouldn't have been apalled if they did, but a common complaint with Christian fiction is that it becomes overly preachy after a bit. I don't think this one does at all. It's message is subtle, but poignant.

Also, Sweet Mercy is an amazing example of historical fiction. This might sound strange, but I really felt like I was in that era while I was reading. This isn't a "hey kids, today we're going to learn about the Great Depression!" kind of story. It felt real.

This is some of the best Christian fiction I've read in a long time, as well as the best Historical Fiction I've read in a long time. It's the kind of book that I won't get tired of rereading again and again!

I received this book via Goodreads First Reads. This in no way affects my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!