Saturday, August 17, 2013

Grace Happens by Jan M. Czech

Grace Happens

Grace Happens

By Jan M. Czech

 

Blurb: Grace’s mother is a movie star. World travel, famous people, and movie sets are her life. So are bodyguards, paparazzi, and constant chaos. Grace dreams of a normal life with regular school and real friends. She also dreams of knowing her father, whose identity her mother has never revealed. When her secretive mother announces they’re going to Martha’s Vineyard for the summer, Grace doesn’t know the island holds the keys to her family history. But once the connection becomes clear, she can’t resist searching for some answers. Grace makes some surprising moves along the way, from making a friend and piercing her ears to developing a strong suspicion of who her father is.
Genres: YA, Mystery, Realistic Fiction
Published: April 5, 2007
Series: N/A
My Rating: 4 stars
This book was by no means perfect. In fact, I really considered throwing it across the room when I first started, because it was soooo boring. I didn't like Grace, and I didn't like the plot. But then...I changed my mind.

Well, kind of. I still didn't like Grace. Every other chapter ends with her getting mad at her mom for not telling her enough about her father, even though her mother is just trying to protect Grace, and saying something along the lines of, "Why didn't you tell me, mother!?"

And some of the other characters just seem to be there to be there. Like Tanya Sutton, for example. She served almost no purpose in the plot whatsoever, other than it seemed like the author wanted a mean girl in the story. Yeah, characters weren't the strong suit of this novel. The one character I really did like doesn't come in until the end, and it would spoil the book to much, so I can't say too much about them, either.

What made me change my mind about this book, though, was the mystery aspect. I love a nice mystery, and while it was short, Grace trying to figure out the identity of her father, the clues, and the big reveal made this book worth while.

And the ending is sweet, too. It almost redeemed Grace in my eyes. Keyword being almost.

Grace Happens is not my favorite book of all time, but it was still pretty good. I liked it a lot, and in my opinion, it is definitely a keeper!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!