Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Review: Seed Savers

Seed Savers (Treasure, #1)

Seed Savers

By S. Smith

Blurb: Clare, Dante, and Lily live in a future where gardening and owning seeds is against the law. Some, however, encourage the children to change the future, and instruct them in the old ways.

Can the children learn enough before being stopped by GRIM, the government agency controlling the nation's food?

And can children really change the future?

Genres: Juvenile, Dystopian
 
Published: April 17, 2012
 
Series: Seed Savers by S. Smith (book 1)
 
My Rating: 3 stars
 
**A free copy of this review was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.**

This is going to be a difficult review to write, because while I noticed some flaws in the book, it was a quick, fun read.

I'll start with what I liked. First, I think that this would be a nice dystopian for someone who would like to read something from this genre, but wants a tamer, non-violent story. The dystopian society is lighter than many of the societies in other dystopian books; it's not too different from today, except that it is now illegal to grow food. Some people have chosen to rebel, however, and are known as 'seed savers.' So I think this would appeal to many people, younger readers in particular.

Second, the book moved quickly and didn't drag on unecessarily. The beginning of the book actually seemed to move a bit too quickly, but it slows down to a reasonable pace later.

There are a couple things that I wasn't a big fan of, though. At times, the conversations in the book felt a bit stilted; again, I noticed this mainly at the beginning, but it happened ocassionally throughout the whole book.

And I wish the characters had been a little more developed; I didn't really feel a connection with them; I got to know Clare and Dante a little bit more towards the end of the story, but I still felt that they were a bit undeveloped.

Lastly, there were a few typos, but they weren't very prominent and didn't keep me from enjoying the story. Honestly, I didn't notice them all that much; maybe three times at the very most. I just thought I should mention it.

All in all, three stars for a quick read that could use some fine-tuning.


1 comment:

Thanks for commenting on my blog!