Monday, August 26, 2013

Smart Girls Get What They Want



                                            

Smart Girls Get What They Want

By Sarah Strohmeyer


Gigi, Bea, and Neerja are best friends and total overachievers. Even if they aren't the most popular girls in school, they aren't too worried. After all, real life will begin once they get to their Ivy League colleges. But when an unexpected event proves they're missing out on the full high-school experience, it's time to come out of the honors lounge and into the spotlight. The trio makes a pact: They will each take on their greatest challenge and totally rock it.


Gigi decides to run for student rep, but she'll have to get over her fear of public speaking—and go head-to-head with gorgeous California Will. Bea used to be one of the best skiers around, until she was derailed; it could be time for her to take the plunge again. And Neerja loves the drama club but has always stayed behind the scenes—until now.



These friends are determined to show the world that smart girls really can get what they want—but that might mean getting way more attention than they ever bargained for. . . .

Genres: YA, Romance, Realistic Fiction

Published: March 26, 2013

Series: N/A

My Rating: 4.5 stars

Smart Girls Get What They Want may have been one of the most suprising books of the year. I was expecting to slightly enjoy it, but I wasn't expecting to love it. You see, I've read one other book by Sarah Strohmeyer; How Zoe Made Her Dreams (Mostly) Come True. (I hate typing out that name, it's so long!) And it was cute fluff, but it wasn't a book that really stuck with me at all. So I expected the same to be true of this book. 


But, obviously, I was wrong.



No, Smart Girls isn't some deep, philosophical book of wonders. But it's not a fluff read either. It's light, but not fluff; I can't even explain it that well, so let's just quit on that note.



The characters were relatable. Gigi, Neerja and Bea were smart girls, but not stereotypical smart girls. For example, they aren't 'fashionably challenged' or whatever. Ugh, I hate that stereotype in books. And there's no dramatic split or whatever that happens in so many books with a group of best friends. (I mean, if that's what the book's actually about, then I'm fine with it, but it seems like so many books just throw it in there to add some more drama to the already boiling pot of dramatic-ness.)



Ava was another character that defied the norm. I don't really see many characters like Ava. She's not simply a stock character, and I liked that.



And oh, mah gosh. I fell in love with Mike. He's not some Edward Cullen-wannabe; he's different. At first, I really hated him, but over the course of the book I started to like him more on more. And the ending...*sigh*.



One last thing before I wrap this review up; this book actually made me want to ski. And I hate skiing. 



I would definitely recommend this book. It's light, but it has some good messages in it as well, and the characters are awesome. This book has convinced me to try some more Sarah Strohmeyer books!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!