Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Blink by Julia Jean



Blink

By Julia Jean

Blurb:  What would you do if your world was turned upside down? Aspiring photographer, seventeen year old, Laura Scott, must make sense of her world once her brother leaves for Iraq and her friends depart for college, leaving her utterly alone. Laura is left to begin her senior year friendless until Jake enters her life. Jake, so unlike her other friends, forces her to look at her life from a new perspective leaving her questioning who her friends really are. When an accident strikes the Scott household, Laura must have the strength to pull her brother through difficulty times and the courage to leave her little town of Middlefield to attain her dreams.

Genres: Young Adult, Realistic Fiction, Romance 

Published: June 28th, 2013

Series: N/A

My Rating: 3.5 stars


A free copy was received from the author in exchange for an honest review.

This was a pretty solid Realistic Fiction. I'm still new to the more serious side of this genre, but I have been liking it so far, so I decided to try Blink. While it wasn't my favorite, I enjoyed it!

Blink is about a girl named Laura whose life drastically changes after her brother goes to Iraq. I had a tough time identifying with Laura. She could be sooo cynical, and sometimes she made really bad choices. Her character grew as the story went on, but it was a struggle to not become exasperated with her sometimes.

Jake was....how do I even explain Jake? In some ways he was a stereotypical bad boy. In other ways, not at all. Over all, Jake was a pretty good character, but again, I never really felt connected with him. That's just my opinion, though; I know a lot of people who would consider Jake a highly swoon-worthy character!

My favorite character was Jeff. He was one character I loved reading about. His struggles after he comes home, his change from the beginning to end--it was incredibly well-written, and one of the reasons I bumped the book's rating up half a star. Jeff. was. good.

I was a bit surprised when the book ended, because I felt like it could have kept going, but in hindsight it was a pretty good place to stop.

There were a couple errors in the book (the main one at the end of the story, where there was no period. That was the big one for me.) It's not too bad, compared to some books, but it could be a small annoyance for some.

Blink was a good story for me. It could be a great story for a lot of people. So, if you think this book sounds like something you would like, I would recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!