Sunday, November 24, 2013

Blog Tour Review: Heirloom by S. Smith


     
Welcome to my stop on the Heirloom (Seed Savers #3) Blog Tour!

Seed Savers: Heirloom

By S. Smith

Blurb: In a futuristic U.S.A. where gardening is illegal, siblings Clare and Dante have escaped to Canada and are living with a host family enjoying farm life and learning to grow their own food. Attending Garden Guardian class, they meet other refugees and unearth the history of how they lost their choices about food.

Their friend Lily continues the quest to find her father, a former leader in the Seed Savers movement who was arrested and jailed before she was born. Along the way she meets a host of interesting characters and more surprisingly, herself.



Genres: Middle Grade, Dystopia

Published: November 12, 2013

Series: Seed Savers (Book #3) 

My Rating: 3 stars



I was really happy when I was asked to join this book tour, because I read the first two Seed Savers books, and I liked them.  The first book, Treasure, and the second book, Lily, are very different from each other, so I wasn’t exactly sure what to expect when I started Heirloom. What I got was a mix between the first two.

The book is a multiple POV; there’s Lily’s in first person, and then there’s Clare and Dante’s in third person.  I ended up enjoying Clare and Dante’s POV more than Lily’s, which was a bit surprising for me. I was expecting to have it reversed, but I think that it mostly had to do with the fact that I was more interested in finding out what exactly became of Clare and her brother.

We get to meet some new characters, too; the one I was most drawn to was Jason. I have some theories about him, but I won’t go into them because they’d be spoiler-filled. And trust me, you don’t want me to spoil Heirloom for you. We also meet Abner, who may be my favorite character so far. He’s not a really big character; I just found him funny!

There were some things that I didn’t love. One was that sometimes the kids just sound so much older than they are. Not all the time; it comes and goes throughout the story, but it was enough to bug me a bit.

My favorite part of the book was probably the end.  Don’t take that the way it sounds; it’s just that there was a rather touching scene at the end that I enjoyed!
This book is like the first two in that I recommend it to people looking for a light dystopia.

Want to see more tour stops? Look here!

About This Author: 


S.  Smith S. Smith grew up on a farm with a tremendously large garden. Though she lives in the city now, her love of growing vegetables and flowers endures. Her first published series, Seed Savers, was born from this desire to plant each spring.

A licensed ESL (English as a Second Language) teacher, Ms. Smith has enjoyed teaching students from around the world.

She gardens and writes at her home in the beautiful and green Pacific Northwest.

Seed Savers: Treasure is available as a paperback and e-book at Amazon.

Book 2, Lily, is also available.




Pick Up Your Copy:



Get the First Two Books as Well!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review and being a part of my tour!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!