Thursday, November 28, 2013

Once Upon a Tag by Anna Adams


Once Upon a Tag

By Anna Adams

Blurb: When David, a young French painter, unexpectedly meets Rita, an infamous Parisian street artist, his convictions are shaken to the core during a night he is unlikely to ever forget.

Genres: Young Adult, Romance, Realistic Fiction

Published: April 23, 2013

Series: N/A

My Rating: 4 stars



I bumped my rating up from three stars (my gut feeling about this book) to four stars (what I realized is the quality of this book after googling 'what makes a good short story?')

I follow a couple book blogs, and a couple months ago I noticed that two of them had written reviews about Once Upon A Tag; both were very favorable, and I thought I should try it out. So when I found out it was free, I grabbed it!

First; the writing is very good  wonderful. It's...wow. It's the kind of writing you can usually only dream of reading.

Secondly, it wasn't rushed. Short stories always seem to be rushing to get all their ducks in a row and end it perfectly, but in the process the story loses believability. This story was perfectly paced.

Considering we didn't have very long to get to know David and Rita, I found them to be very well thought out characters. They had great personalities. In fact, the characters were interesting; even the homeless guy who only shows up for about two pages.

The ending...I have no idea how I feel about this ending. The fact that the story was over so soon took me by surprise; I wanted to read more about David and Rita. But then I thought about it; even in famous short stories such as The Birds, the endings are open rather than being set in stone. So, is it really that surprising that the author chose to end this story like she did?

To summarize, Once Upon A Tag is a superb short story. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but I liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!