Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The Selection by Kiera Cass

The Selection

By Kiera Cass

 Blurb:  For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

Genres: Romance, Dystopian, Young Adult

Published: April 24, 2012

Series: The Selection (book 1)

My Rating; 4 stars

This book was so good. I told myself I'd never read it--I had tried it before and didn't like it that much--but I finally gave in and got it from the library again. And...then I finished it in a day. (And not one of those lazy-ish days where all you do is read...nope, it was a very BUSY day! I just read this book every spare moment I had.)

The plot is so good. It's really light on the dystopian, but that ended up not being a bad thing for me. Because I loved the OTHER aspect of the plot more; the Selection.

It was so addicting to read about it. And even though I knew that America had basically a 100% chance of making it to the Elite round (It's a trilogy and the next book is called 'Elite' for crying out loud) I was still on the edge of my seat, wanting to know which girls would be going home this time, praying that Celeste would finally leave, that Marlee would stay...basically it was like reality television. Which was what the author was going for, so good job!

America, if I'm being completely honest, annoyed me. Seriously, girl. It is okay if people think you're PRETTY. That is what we call a 'compliment.' But, Maxon made up for it. I know for a fact that I am Team Maxon. I absolutely loved him! I didn't like Aspen that much and while I thought he was sweet at the beginning, he started to get on my nerves later.

All I can say after finishing this is, "I need Elite!" I've been checking my library's website every day to see if I moved up in the holds. (Guess what; at least 31 other people liked this book so much that they checked out Elite too!) I wouldn't say this book is for everyone, but if it sounds like something you would enjoy, I would recommend checking it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!