Saturday, December 28, 2013

Cheyenne by Lisa Weidmeier

Cheyenne 

By Lisa Weidmeier

Blurb: Murder, romance, secrets and hidden pasts. Deception from every angle—who's telling the truth?

Cheyenne Wilson's life is thrown into turmoil after her adoptive parents are killed in an accident. With only her best friend Colt to comfort her, she scours through the family archives, hoping to quell her grief. Instead she begins to unravel the mystery behind her birth parents, and her secret heritage. She is a Timeless- a being that ages one year for every hundred human years when they reach their twenties- and of the royal line, destined to gain great power.

But Cheyenne has other problems. The ones who killed her parents want her too, and Colt is hiding something of his own. Surrounded by danger and with few she can trust, Cheyenne must face the dark truth of her past, and choose between a forbidden love that will forever hold her heart, or her destiny...


Genres: Young Adult, Romance, Science Fiction 

Published: July 15, 2011

Series: Timeless (book 1)

Pages: Goodreads claims 3,406. I say nay-nay. Amazon estimates 486 pages. That's more like it!

My rating: 2 stars

I put off reading this for one reason and one reason only. I did not have time to read a nearly 4000 page book. Finally, I decided to pick it up and see how long it took me to finish. Thank goodness Goodreads was drastically off the mark with its page count!

Cheyenne had a strong beginning, and I was optimistic at first. And then...my expectations went down as the book went along. 

You see, the main problem I had with Cheyenne--The main problem that I have with most YA paranormals, and therefore sound like a broken record almost every time I write reviews for such books--is that it wasn't original. The reason I was so optimistic at first is that the idea for the plot actually sounded pretty awesome, but it got quickly became very meh.

For example, the awful love triangle. Now don't get me wrong, I love a good love triangle, but only when it's done the right way, not the sloppy kind. And, while this is not the worst love triangle I've read about (I am looking at you, Elite), it seemed like Cheyenne just could not make up her mind! And honestly, I ended up not caring if she chose Colt or Callon.

The worst part of the love triangle, however, is that it basically took up the better part of the story, and thus, Cheyenne crawled along at a snail's pace. Honestly, this book could have had a lot more happening than it did. What it ended up being was Cheyenne being confused over which guy she liked.

I ended up just trying to remember what the heck the different tribes were called, finding the love triangle tedious, and constantly checking how far I was into this book. However; I am not so sure I would not recommend it. I hate am quite fed up with the YA Paranormal genre right now, but someone who likes this sort of thing? This might be a good book for them. Still, for me this was a two star book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!