Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The Delmar Shark Chronicles: Isola Di Squalo by Heidi Peltier

Delmar Shark Chronicles: Isola Di Squalo

By Heidi Peltier

Blurb: On the small Mediterranean island of Isola di Squalo, an ancient legend binds the fate of the royal Delmar family directly to the peace and protection of the island. The consequence of turmoil is the return of a giant shark who ultimately attacks one of the royal family.

Seventeen-year-old American Dylan Murphy is thrilled to learn that a life-long dream has been fulfilled when he is accepted to a local university’s shark study program on Isola di Squalo. He has hopes of diving in particular with the Great White shark, and learning from one of the leading scientists in the field. Unfortunately, an early run-in with the island’s princess, Terra Delmar whose greatest wish is to terminate the program, lands him with the unsavory task of befriending her and convincing her to allow the scientists to stay.

Dylan scoffs at the Delmar legend until he comes face-to-face with the shark. When a life-threatening injury sends him home, he realizes he has fallen in love with the island and its queen, Terra. The return of the shark can only mean that she and her island are in danger, and though he knows he and Terra can never be together, he feels he needs to return to save them both


Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance, Christian 

Published: March 16, 2013

Series: Delmar Shark Chronicles (book 1)

Pages: 278

My Rating: 5 stars!

A free copy of this book was receieved from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I knew after reading the synopsis of this book that I had to read this. The plot seemed so cool, and I love books that take place on islands. Isola Di Squalo ended up being all that I hoped for and so much more.

First off, the plot was really unique. (Admittedly, I have said that about a few books I've read recently, but I mean it wholeheartedly each time, and especially with this one!) It is a combination of Romance and Fantasy, but neither is your typical YA stuff. The Romance aspect lacked insta-love (YAY!!!), and while it was the main point of the story, it didn't overshadow the Fantasy aspect, which can be so hard to find in teen books. The Fantasy part of the plot was unlike anything I've ever read! I loved the concept. It was so well-written.

The romance between Terra and Dylan was so well done. It wasn't cheesy at all. I loved that the story started out with them hating each other, instead of having them being drawn to each other right from the start. I wish that Dylan wouldn't have gotten so annoyed with Terra at times, but that is honestly my only complaint.

I didn't want the book to end, but of course it did. That being said, I thought it ended perfectly, with a happy ending (for the most part).

I can definitely say that I will be reading the next book in this series, especially because it's about Delphine, and the epilogue made me want to know Delphine's story. I am so glad I was able to read this book; it's definitely a 2013 favorite of mine! If you are thinking about reading Isola Di Squalo, I would HIGHLY recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!