Monday, January 27, 2014

The Face on the Milk Carton by Caroline B. Cooney

The Face on the Milk Carton

By Caroline B. Cooney

Blurb: The face on the milk carton looks like an ordinary little girl: hair in tight pigtails, a dress with a narrow white collar, a three-year-old who was kidnapped more than twelve years ago from a shopping mall in New Jersey.

As fifteen-year-old Janie Johnson stares at the milk carton, she feels overcome with shock. She knows that little girl is she. But how could it be true?

Janie can't believe that her loving parents kidnapped her, until she begins to piece together clues that don't make sense. Why are there no pictures of Janie before she was four? Her parents have always said they didn't have a camera. Now that explanation sounds feeble. Something is terribly wrong, and Janie is afraid to find out what happened more than twelve years ago.

In this gripping page-turner, the reader will unravel — as Janie does — the twisted events that changed the lives of two families forever


Genres: Mystery, YA, Romance, Realistic Fiction

Publication Date: February 1, 1990

Series: Janie Johnson (book 1)

Pages: 192

My Rating: 4 stars

 I saw this book one time at a friend's house and it immediately piqued my interest. Recently, I found it at my library and remembered that I had wanted to read this a couple years ago, so I got it...and finished it in a few hours. This was definitely my kind of book.

What made me unable to put this down was the whole idea the story was built around. There are kidnappings, kisses, and lactose intolerance cults. This book has EVERYTHING. And it's packed into 190 pages, so there really isn't a boring moment at all.

Is it kind of unrealistic? Yep. Does Janie really need to just ask her parents what happened instead of just freaking out all the time? Kinda. BUT I DIDN'T CARE. I was eating up every word; it was like a soap opera where you know perfectly well that this would almost never happen but you simply don't care, because it's so addicting.

Am I reading the next books? Heck yes, I'm getting them as soon as I come back to my library. It's true, this book wasn't literary genius, but it was fun to read.

 


1 comment:

  1. Wow I read this book back sometime in the 90's and reading you review made it a come flooding back. Was there an obsession with having belongings with her name on them? It was awhile ago lol. Great review

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!