Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Tempest by Holly Hook

Tempest

By Holly Hook

Blurb: Sixteen-year-old Janelle never thought the gray spiral birthmark on her arm meant anything special. That is, until she meets Gary, a boy her age with a birthmark exactly like hers. Gary’s attractive, brooding, and perfectly normal…except for the fact that he materialized out of a dangerous hurricane right in front of her. Janelle’s certain of only one thing. Gary’s mark—and hers, too—mean something, but he’s reluctant to tell her what.

At last she squeezes the truth from Gary about their markings. And the truth is utterly terrifying: Janelle and Gary are more connected to the destructive power of nature than she ever dreamed possible. And learning the truth about herself is only the start of her nightmare.


Genres: Young Adult, Paranormal, Romance 

Published: July 7, 2010

Series: Destroyers (book 1)

Pages: 286

Rating: 3 stars

This was definitely one of the better Paranormals I've read in awhile. It's different from anything, and I do mean anything, that I've read before. I thought the storyline was very ingenious, and the book definitely kept me flipping pages. However, I only gave it three stars. The reason for this is due to some plot holes. Otherwise this could have definitely been a four star book.

Now, one of these plot holes may be able to be explained somehow. These are merely my observations and opinions, and others might disagree with me. (Warning: Below are some minor spoilers, minor meaning that you learn them early on.)

Only Once? The list of Hurricane names repeats itself every seven years. Names are only retired if their corresponding storms are very damaging. However, in the book, or is stated that Tempests must turn into storms once in their life. But shouldn't certain Tempests have to turn into storms every seven years if their name being on the list mean they have to turn into storms?

There Are Not The Same Amount of Storms Each Year This was really my main problem with the book, and the reason that I wasn't able to completely immerse myself in the story. If the explanation we were given in the book (Hurricane name Lists are made by the Tempest leaders and very name on the list corresponds to a Tempest who must become a storm) was true (oh, I know it isn't obviously, but if it was) that would mean that we would have the same amount of named storms each year. Which is not the case. It can be more or less than the given list. Which kind of leads to another minor plot hole. If there was a year where there were less hurricanes than names on the lists, wouldn't that mean, by the explanation we are given, that a Tempest had refused to change? Which would mean that all Hurricanes would stop?

Oh well. I probably over thought this one. This isn't meant to be a book you over-analyze. That's just me, I suppose!

2 comments:

  1. I tend to over-analyze books myself a lot. Sometimes I really like them despite my reservations, but I still have to be merciless ;) (I mean...the right amount of merciless...because destroying books is a big no-no for me!). So you see, you're not alone!
    Then again, I think a good review must be thorough in any respect...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who does this!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!