Friday, February 21, 2014

Blog Tour Review: Polaris Uprising by Jennifer Ibarra


 

The Polaris Uprising

by Jennifer Ibarra 

Blurb: In less than seven years, eighteen-year-old Ryla Jensen will succeed her father as the president of Neress, a nation where all citizens are cared for from the moment they’re born. Fed, sheltered, even educated—every need of theirs is met.

The only price they pay is their free will.

Groomed since childhood to take on a role she’s not even sure she wants, Ryla’s only escape from the pressures of duty is her sister, Alanna. But when her eyes are opened to the oppressive regime her father built, she begins to question everything she’s set to inherit—and finds herself at odds with her sister’s blind allegiance to their father.

Torn between loyalty to her family and the fight for freedom, Ryla must decide just how far she’s willing to go to make a stand and risk losing the person she loves most in the world: Alanna.


Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18046385-the-polaris-uprising?ac=1

Purchase:
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/The-Polaris-Uprising-Jennifer-Ibarra/dp/0989499200/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1383081661&sr=8-1

B&N: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-polaris-uprising-jennifer-ibarra/1117138587?ean=2940045324403
Genres: Dystopia, Young Adult

Publication date: October 30th 2013

Series: Polaris (book 1)

Pages: 328

My Rating: 4.5 stars

This book was stunning. So stunning that I stayed up till almost midnight finishing it, even though my original intent was to just start reading the book. Obviously, that plan didn't go very well, and I ended up reading this in one sitting.

I didn't start off loving it, no. The first twelve percent of the book, I was just trying to figure out which POV I was reading; whenever a book doesn't specifically say at the beginning of the chapter, I kind of muddle through the first two or three chapters because I don't know enough about the character's voice. This one was a bit harder to get used to since the main characters are sisters. But once I got over that difficulty, it was nearly impossible for me to stop reading. Here's why:

Alanna and Ryla are sisters, and I have recently discovered something--I really like 'sister stories.' The fact that Alanna and Ryla are sisters--and sisters that get along well, not ones that never really liked each other--gives the story so much more depth, in my opinion.

And even if Alanna and Ryla weren't sisters, I still would have really loved their characters--especially Ryla. I loved that Ryla was willing to question what she had grown up believing; and the fact that she is going to be queen made that so much more interesting.

I originally thought the plot was a bit stereotypical, but as I read along I realized that it has its own unique flair. The society itself is a bit formulaic If I am being completely honest, I'd read a lot of the basic parts of it in other dystopians, but after a while I can see how it would be hard to get a completely unique dystopian society; there's so many books in this genre now! However, I didn't see a lot of the plot twists, and I absolutely love when an author catches me off guard.

Plus, and this is kind of a spoiler so beware, the author was willing to kill off characters.  Not everyone likes when this happens, but I don't know...I like books that kind of break your heart, and I have no idea why. This just made the book more of a gem for me. I won't tell you who it is though, you'll have to read to see.....

Lastly...I am sure I am not the first to note this, but I really got a 'Frozen meets Hunger Games' vibe from this book. And that's like saying, "Awesomeness and Awesomeness combine to make some more Awesomeness" coming from me. So, on that note, I totally recommend Polaris Uprising. I will definitely be on the lookout for the sequel, because for goodness' sake, what is it with great books and some really horrible (well, not 'horrible' per se, just 'how can you end the book like that, NOOOOOOO') cliffhangers?


----

AUTHOR BIO
Jennifer Ibarra grew up on a steady diet of books, Star Wars, and other fantastic feats of the imagination. Her debut novel, The Polaris Uprising, is the first book in a trilogy and mixes dystopia with family drama, romance, and political intrigue.

She lives in Silicon Valley, where she does marketing for a tech company and spends her time running, cooking, baking, and keeping up with celebrity gossip.


Author Links:
Website: http://www.jenniferibarra.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/writejenwrite
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/officialjenniferibarra
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7124832.Jennifer_Ibarra

2 comments:

  1. Great review this sounds like a really fun book and I love that it's sisters! But it sounds like character development is very well done regardless. I also like that it's got a lot of originality! Glad you liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The character development really was superb! Thank you so much for letting me be a part of this tour!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!