Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Mind Readers by Lori Brighton

The Mind Readers

By Lori Brighton

Blurb: Cameron Winters is a freak. Fortunately, no one but her family knows the truth... that Cameron can read minds. For years Cameron has hidden behind a facade of normalcy, warned that there are those who would do her harm. When gorgeous and mysterious Lewis Douglas arrives he destroys everything Cameron has ever believed and tempts her with possibilities of freedom. Determined to embrace her hidden talents, Cameron heads to a secret haven with Lewis; a place where she meets others like her, Mind Readers.

But as Cameron soon finds out some things are too good to be true. When the Mind Readers realize the extent of Cameron’s abilities, they want to use her powers for their own needs. Cameron suddenly finds herself involved in a war in which her idea of what is right and wrong is greatly tested. In the end she’ll be forced to make a choice that will not only threaten her relationship with Lewis, but her very life.

Genres: Young Adult, Paranormal Romance, Mystery

Publication Date: December 7, 2010

Series: Mind Readers (book 1)

Pages: 170

My Rating: 4 stars

AHH. This was so good. It reminded me why I used to love free Amazon e-books. (Not enough to start downloading them again, but still.)

The characters, the plot, the writing...I don't think I have a bad thing to say about it. All I can do is gush. And gush I will, starting with the AMAZING plot this book contained. (Are you ready....okay, here I go.) FANTASTIC! Paranormal Romances are usually so romance orientated that I just want to bang my head against a desk. I don't have anything against romance...but Pararomances are so CHEESY and predictable. This one really wasn't. I will now list reasons the Mind Readers romance didn't irk me.

1.) Lewis isn't 'the perfect boyfriend.' He is flawed, though he may not seem that way. 
2.) I didn't have to suffer through endless dialogue of Cam and Lewis confessing their feelings for each other.
3.) The plot wasn't overly dependent on the romance. I sometimes love a Romance heavy plot, but like I said before, if it becomes cheesy, that book has a good chance of being chucked across the room (though since I started reading e-books, those chances have gone down.) Mind Readers was one of the least throw-worthy Paranormals I've read in a loooooooooong time. I appreciate that, Ms. Brighton. I really do.

I've been so focused on saying what the plot wasn't that I have forgotten to praise what it was. I would just say awesome, but that would hardly be descriptive. Anyway, I loved that it was a mystery. Who should Cam trust? Was there something more behind the murder of her friend? I eat this kind of stuff up, people.

Cam...I love that she wasn't a Mary Sue. No, she had her fair share of flaws. Like being overly trusting. And the fact that she struggles with how to use her powers; should she use them for good and possibly be caught, or ignore them and let innocent people possibly get hurt?

Lewis. My gosh, I've never loved and then hated a character so quickly. Lewis ends up being an...interesting character to say the least. Let's just say I am pretty sure there will be a love triangle next book, and I will NOT be Team Lewis. 

This is a great book! You have got to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!