Friday, February 28, 2014

The Place Where There Is No Darkness by K.M. Douglas

The Place Where There Is No Darkness

By K.M. Douglas

Blurb: The year is 2019. The Watchers maintain a state of constant surveillance: guns are outlawed, media is censored, and unmanned drones patrol the skies. Derrion Parsing is a high school senior and the son of an ex-Army Ranger. Unlike his classmates, he has access to information from the time before the Invisible War, when the government shut down the Internet, reformatting into a propaganda tool. When Derrion attempts to use this information as part of a school project, he awakens to his worst nightmare.

Genres: Young Adult, Dystopian

Publication Date: November 13,2013
  
Series: N/A

Pages: 98

My Rating: 3 stars


I received a free copy from the author in exchange for an honest review.

This book was good, but it wasn't my kind of Dystopian. So before you read my review, make sure you have this in mind.

Reasons this didn't work for me as much as I wanted include:

-The fact that it takes place five years in the future. (I read the blurb wrong, so it was kind of a surprise. Totally my fault.) Do I think that the US could get to this state in five years? Yes. Do I think it will happen in five years? No. That kind of took away my ability to suspend disbelief while reading.

-The 9/11 conspiracy theory as the plot. It's not that it was bad to read about, it's just that because of it I couldn't see it as a 'true' Dystopian novel because the plot had to do with something that actually happened, not a made up oppressive government.

-The fact that I was never able to connect with the characters. The book is short, and because of this I didn't get to know the characters as much as I like to.

Would I recommend this? Yes, to the right person. I may not have loved this, but I am sure there are others that could consider this book fantastic! I will say it's not like any other Dystopian I've ever read before, and I appreciate that a lot.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!