Sunday, February 16, 2014

Starstruck by Brenda Hiatt

 

Starstruck

By Brenda Hiatt

Blurb:  Nerdy astronomy geek Marsha, M to her few friends, has never been anybody special. Orphaned as an infant and reluctantly raised by an overly-strict “aunt,” she’s not even sure who she is. M’s dream of someday escaping tiny Jewel, Indiana and making her mark in the world seems impossibly distant until hot new quarterback Rigel inexplicably befriends her. As Rigel turns his back on fawning cheerleaders to spend time with M, strange things start to happen: her acne clears up, her eyesight improves to the point she can ditch her thick glasses, and when they touch, sparks fly—literally! When M digs for a reason, she discovers deep secrets that will change her formerly humdrum life forever . . . and expose her to perils she never dreamed of. Yes, the middle of nowhere just got a lot more interesting!

Genres:  YA, Romance, Paranormal

Publication Date: August 2013

Series: Starstruck (book 1)

Pages: 328

My Rating: 3 stars

A free copy of this book was received from the author in exchange for an honest review.

This book had an interesting and original plot. I enjoyed it, but I didn't like that it had some YA genre cliches.

You see, the plot is really cool. I can't give it away, but it isn't something that's overdone in teen lit, which I liked. It really kept me interested in the book. Also, the writing was good, which was another thing that held my attention.

I also liked the relationship between M and her aunt and uncle. It's a detail that added to the characters.

What I didn't like is, as stated before, was there were some elements of this book that I feel are overused in books for teens, which sometimes took away from the originality of the plot as a whole. It was only in the romance, though. Insta-love was one of the problems, for example. However, people may be excited to know that there wasn't a love triangle. (Well, I suppose there kind of was,since Trina and M both like Rigel, but it was more about their rivalry then a love triangle, and it wasn't a huge part of the main plot.)

It's the kind of book that could have a sequel, but could also be a standalone. Starstruck is a good book for teens, and I for the most part, I enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!