Sunday, March 16, 2014

Cold Calls by Charles Benoit

Cold Calls

By Charles Benoit

Blurb: In the vein of the teen suspense classics I Know What You Did Last Summer and The Face on the Milk Carton, Cold Calls is a chilling thriller, an unsettling mystery, and a provocative exploration of bullying, culpability, and the cost of keeping secrets.

Three high school students-Eric, Shelly, and Fatima-have one thing in common: "I know your secret."
Each one is blackmailed into bullying specifically targeted schoolmates by a mysterious caller who whispers from their cell phones and holds carefully guarded secrets over their heads. But how could anyone have obtained that photo, read those hidden pages, uncovered this buried past? Thrown together, the three teens join forces to find the stranger who threatens them-before time runs out and their shattering secrets are revealed . . .

This suspenseful, pitch-perfect mystery-thriller raises timely questions about privacy, bullying, and culpability


Genres:  YA, Mystery, Thriller, Realistic Fiction

Publication Date: April 1, 2014

Series: N/A

Pages: 288

My Rating: 4 stars

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. 
 
I could not put this book down! It was so flipping good and suspenseful.

At first, I was a bit confused as to why this was happening. I wasn't sure exactly why someone would randomly blackmail kids to bully others; just for their own sick enjoyment? As soon as the kids actually find out why this is happening, the plot got more realistic, though, and I literally could not stop reading. 

The characters are so good. My favorite character was Shelly, but I liked that all of the characters acted realistically. I was truly rooting for them during the whole book.

But really stands out for this story is not the characters, it's the suspense that goes on for the entire book. It never lets up. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time reading this; I simply had to know what would happen next. There are few books I've read that were this thrilling to read.

I loved how the book ended...with a cliffhanger that could possibly open the door for a second book, but not necessarily. I will definitely read the sequel if there ever is one, and I'm crossing my fingers if there is! This book was a riveting, suspense-filled story, and I would definitely recommend it to teens and adults alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!