Monday, March 10, 2014

Lula Bell on Geekdom, Freakdom and the Challenges of Bad Hair by C.C. Payne

Lula Bell on Geekdom, Freakdom and the Challenges of Bad Hair

By C.C. Payne

Blurb:  While Lula Bell Bonner tries desperately to fit in by not standing out, her wise and irrepressible Grandma Bernice says: Let your light shine! It's Grandma Bernice who provides the joy that balances Lula Bell's difficult school life, but when this balance is upended, when Kali Keele turns up the heat on her cruel teasing, and when the talent show -- that she should NEVER have signed up for-- is about to happen, how in the world can Lula Bell cope?
This funny, heartfelt novel exploring friendship, family, and forgiveness, introduces an unforgettable hero, lost in the wilderness of 5th grade, searching for her own shining light.

Genres: Juvenile, Realistic Fiction, Humor

Publication Date: October 12, 2012

Series: N/A

Pages: 266

My Rating: 5 stars

Oh, Lula Bell. I love you, but I am a bit peeved too, because I know that after reading you I am going to start reading a bunch of Juvenile fiction again, even though I had previously stopped reading this genre, because you have showed me that not all books in the juvenile genre are babyish.

You see, people, Lula Bell is undoubtedly middle grade. But it isn't a book that only middle schoolers can enjoy. There are many people who could read and be truly delighted with this book:

-Children
-Teens
-Adults
-Anyone currently alive.

See? Many, many different people.

What makes this story so powerful? Well, the first is the wonderful writing. C.C. Payne really captures Lula Bell's voice.

The second is the wonderful characters. They're so awesome. Lula Grandma Bernice, Kali. No, not all of them are likeable--Kali was downright nasty--but they are all amazingly well written.

The third; all the emotions you will feel when reading this book. I was happy, I was sad, I was angry, etc, etc.

The last is the sprinkling of humor that I personally think every book should have. It really lightens up the whole feel of the book, and I liked Lula Bell even more because of it.

I usually have some summary of my review here, but all I am going to say is read the book. Please.





2 comments:

  1. This book looks like the kind I want to read to cure a book hangover. I dont know about middle grade much. Started out liking the maximum ride series then pfft. Will have to see

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Maximum Ride series started off so good and then when the fourth book came along something just went terribly wrong. D: I was devestated. This book is a great book for getting out of a reading slump, I was starting to get into one when I read it and it pulled me out! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!