Thursday, March 27, 2014

Medusa by Tony Talbot

Medusa

By Tony Talbot

Blurb:  Lissa Two is a thief of the ocean cities, struggling to make enough money to clear her debts and take care of her traumatised sister, scratching a meagre living as best she can. So she has enough worries without her life getting more complicated...but when a boy named Hattan literally falls from the sky, she can't just let him drown. It's a decision she comes to regret, a decision that will change not only her life, but the lives of everyone she loves. If they survive...

Genres:  YA, Science Fiction, Dystopian

Publication Date: February 11, 2014

Series: N/A

Pages: 264

My Rating: 4 stars


A free copy of this book was received from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I wasn't really sure what to expect going into Medusa. The cover was what initially drew me to the book, and the blurb sounded fantastic, but Tony Talbot was a new author to me, so I was a bit nervous at the same time. My fears quickly dissipated. After reading only a few lines, I knew this book would be good!

The plot:

The plot is really great. It's original, which is always a plus. When I say original, I mean original. The only book that came to mind when reading this was The Search for WondLa, simply because the main character in that book was called Eva Nine, and the main character of this book was called Lissa Two. If that is the only connection I can make, I think it's safe to say that this book was original.

It's also really, really exciting. There's pirates, betrayal, and killer clouds. Does that not sound awesome? I think part of the reason I liked it so much was because it's science fiction and I don't think I've read a "real" science fiction book in a while.

I liked that there was no over excessive romance; there was a bit, but I mean a miniscule amount. I was afraid that the relationship between Hattan and Lissa would turn into a case of insta-love, but that's not how it plays out at all...I won't give anything away though...


Setting:
I got sucked into the world of Medusa almost immediately. Technically, it's what happened to the Earth after an apocalyptic event, but it doesn't feel like that. It feels like stepping into a completely new world, due to how changed the Earth has become.

Characters:

The author made me like a ship. Connie, aforementioned ship, may be the most complex characters in this book. I'm not saying that snarkily. She really is a well-thought out character. She has a past that she would rather forget, so much so that she walled the memory away. And even though she is not technically a person, she has emotions, really well-written emotions.

Lissa Two is a perfect heroine. She's fierce and kick-butt, but she has a soft side as well. She really loves her sister and would do anything to protect her. I loved their relationship.

There are a couple typos, but they are easily overlooked and they don't interfere with the overall reading experience.

I enjoyed every second of Medusa. I am really curious to see if there will be a sequel, because Goodreads doesn't say anything about one but it seemed like there might be one. Either way, it was a great book!


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!