Friday, March 28, 2014

My Name Is Rapunzel by K.C. Hilton

My Name Is Rapunzel 

By K.C. Hilton

Blurb: My tale has been told again and again, and I’ve heard each one. Except for my hair, I barely recognize the pitiful renditions. Muddled versions, crafted to entertain laughing children…but the children wouldn’t have laughed if they’d known the real story. It wasn't their fault. They didn't know the truth. Nobody did.

My name is Rapunzel. I will tell you my story. I will tell you the truth.


Publication Date: November 22, 2013

Genres:  YA, Fantasy, Romance, Retellings

Series: N/A

Pages: 322

My Rating: 3 stars


So, it had been a log time since I had read a fairy tale retelling. I'd decided to take a break from them because I was reading too many. So, when I picked up My Name is Rapunzel, I was really excited, ready for a truly fantastic story about one of my favorite fairy tales. The story was good, I'll admit. But...I can't say it was written as well as it should have been.

First, apparently this story takes place around or in Denmark, but the reader really has no way of knowing that. Aside from the fact that Rapunzel mentions meeting the Grimm brothers once and there being a castle in the story, you wouldn't even know that they lived in Europe.

Second, Gretta. Sometimes she seems downright evil, other times just a misunderstood motherly figure. It was weird. Perhaps the author was trying to give a Mother Gothel flair, where she's mean, but she seems nice and caring. I am not sure, because that's not exactly how it came off.

Lastly, the ending. (MAJOR SPOILERS IN THIS PARAGRAPH) we find out that Henry kills Luke. Rapunzel's beloved son was burned to death, albeit accidentally, by Henry's dragon self, when Luke tried to protect his wife from the flames. Reason? Henry thought it was Gretta and was trying to take revenge. First, that doesn't make sense. How did Henry mistake Anastasia, an apparently beautiful young woman with flaming red hair, for Gretta, an old woman with hair that is definitely not red?? But that's not even the start of it. Rapunzel forgives him easily, saying she's only sorry that Luke and he couldn't have known each other. Umm...I don't have kids, but I know that if someone killed your son it would be harder to forgive them. A LOT harder.

However, I did find myself caught up in the story despite the flaws. I liked that the author showed Rapunzel's life from the time she was cursed until present day. I thought there were some interesting reveals, ones that made the story much more fun to read.

My Name Is Rapunzel is the kind of book to read on a lazy day, the kind where you really don't want to think too hard about the storyline. It's not the masterpiece I hoped for, but it wasn't terrible either. I'd recommend other retellings before this one, but if you have nothing else to read, sure, go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!