Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Spark by Melissa Dereberry

Spark

By Melissa Dereberry

Blurb: "I know what you’re thinking, so let me be clear: I am not an angel or a demon. I’m not a vampire, an alien, or a ghost. I’m not even a wizard. Good. Now I have your attention. I am none of these things . . . I am something else..."

What if you lost four years of your life? Worse, what if you found out that your deepest fears are true: You really are different than everyone else . . . but would have never dreamed how? And finally, if you could change the past, would you?

Tess Turner wakes up in a hospital bed, and discovers that she’s been in a coma for four years after a freak accident at her 13th birthday party. Confused and overwhelmed, her situation gets even worse when her parents deliver the devastating news that her best friend Dani was killed that day.

Even though many of her classmates are still around, Tess must learn to navigate a new school and make new friends. When she feels drawn to the mysterious, handsome Zach Webb, none of her friends approve. Zach claims to know untold details about her life and Tess is suspicious, yet she is unable to resist his charm. Playing along to see if he really knows “everything about her,” she finds herself drawn into the adventure of a lifetime that will compel her to make an important choice. Given the opportunity to change the past, she must face the consequences her actions would have on the future.


Genres: Young Adult, Romance, Science Fiction 

Publication Date: June 25, 2012

Series: N/A

Pages: 198

My Rating: 2 stars

This was kind of bad. Not terrible, but not...good. Which is sad, because when I started reading the book, it was pretty well written and really captured my attention. 

However, the love interest in this book, Zach, comes off more as a stalker than romantic, a trend I have been seeing way too much of in the YA genre. I don't know when this weird obsessed boy thing became considered romantic, but can we just put an end to it right now please? Even if he hadn't been creepy, the notes he sent the main character, Tess, sounded very unrealistic. Also, the love between them blossoms much too quickly. They go on basically one date (I am not even sure it could be considered an official date, really) and suddenly he is declaring his love for her and she is declaring her love for him and I am banging my head against a wall. 

Also, when Zach claims he 'knows everything about her,' and then sends tries to prove it to her by sending an e-mail telling her that on her thirteenth birthday, she was swinging and then went into a coma because a freak electrical storm hit, she (literally, this is a quote) thinks, "Maybe Zach was some sort of alien, someone with supernatural abilities."  That is not what I would conclude if someone claims that they know everything about me. First, that would have been all over the local news, both when she went into the coma and when she miraculously came out of it four years later. I would probably think that he was just trying to mess with me and had heard that from a local news station. Worst case scenario, I would suspect him of stalking me. I would not automatically think that he was an extraterrestrial. 


The plot was okay, but nothing that truly blew me away. All of the plot twists I could see coming very early on. There were blatant hints throughout the storyline.

So, I will not be recommending this book. If you want a time-travel story that is really good, you could try The Root Cellar, which is more historical fiction, but still really fun to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog!